How could I add three lights on the back wall of my house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Three lights, with two switches that both turn all three lights on or off. One switch on each end of the wall.

IMG_20160804_235656228.jpg

Switched inside or outside?

You need a power source, so is there an exterior electrical recepticle?

Does your wife want it pretty, or does she care?

Switched inside or outside?

You need a power source, so is there an exterior electrical recepticle?

Does your wife want it pretty, or does she care?

Switched outside twice. Doesn't have to be pretty. Conduit is fine.

I would rather it be connected to the house wiring directly than through an outlet.

Do you have another light outside where the power could come from.
If you bypass the switch on that one and install a censer light there, you could run the other lights with the two switches.

Switched outside twice. Doesn't have to be pretty. Conduit is fine.

I would rather it be connected to the house wiring directly than through an outlet.

Where is the electrical service, in reference to where you want the fixtures and can you post a photo of it?

Do you have another light outside where the power could come from.
If you bypass the switch on that one and install a censer light there, you could run the other lights with the two switches.

This is a diagram of the house. The large dots are exterior lights, the small dots are the indoor switches that turn them on, and the "X" is where I want to add lights.

IMG_20160805_205337868.jpg

So, you want 7 new fixtures, instead of 3.

Where are there reasonable access for the 2nd three-way switch?

Sure you can, within limits.

How about some daytime photos of, from your layout, the left, top and right sides of the dwelling?

Also the type of fixture you had in mind, because there are general illumination LED fixtures with a generally broad field of illumination.

Sure you can, within limits.

How about some daytime photos of, from your layout, the left, top and right sides of the dwelling?

Also the type of fixture you had in mind, because there are general illumination LED fixtures with a generally broad field of illumination.

Here they are.

IMG_20160808_095743179.jpg

IMG_20160808_095812673.jpg

IMG_20160808_095846291.jpg

Thanks.

Here are a couple of styles of fixtures to consider and although they are pricey, initially, they are economical to operate and last a long time between bulb replacement;

http://www.e-conolight.com/catalog/...-conolight/category/15651/?cct=5251#configtop

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/eco-star-10-inch-wide-outdoor-led-flood-security-light__1g652.html

Depending upon the fixture, you may get away with just three.

It's not the style of fixture that I'm concerned about, it's the wiring. Especially in the back where there are no lights to branch from.

The wiring is the least of the difficulties, style and placement of the fixtures will dictate that.

The level of aesthetic tolerance will also be a factor, because the wiring could all be contained in the attic, with just the boxes, fixtures and short sections MC showing.

Holding the EMT tight against the eaves is a lot less work, but far more visible.

These are the lights that I bought.

The immediate question that comes to mind is that if the light is flush against the wall, how does the wire get to the source?

IMG_20160810_195704280.jpg

IMG_20160810_195709835.jpg

IMG_20160810_195720079.jpg

IMG_20160810_195730120.jpg

It's a deck light. It's meant to be mounted on a hollow post that has a place for the wires inside. You can find similar styles for wall mounted lights, if that's the look you want. Your two basic choices are to: 1) get a light that is meant to be mounted on a waterproof junction box - or - 2) bore a hole through the wall for each light so the wires can be run inside the walls. Of course, if you take the second route, you will most likely have to disturb the walls in the house.

It's a deck light. It's meant to be mounted on a hollow post that has a place for the wires inside. You can find similar styles for wall mounted lights, if that's the look you want. Your two basic choices are to: 1) get a light that is meant to be mounted on a waterproof junction box - or - 2) bore a hole through the wall for each light so the wires can be run inside the walls. Of course, if you take the second route, you will most likely have to disturb the walls in the house.

Is there a type of light I can buy that will not require me to drill through the concrete?

What type of light would be the easiest to install?

Yep, #13 has two possibilities. I sense you want something a little less security-minded and a bit more decorative. Take a trip to the big box and ask to see what exterior wall mounted lights they have. That's a good place to start. If you can't find a satisfactory one there, try a lighting or electrical supply store. Even if you don't purchase, you will at least get some info and see what the market has.

Latest posts

Back