How do we fix our healthcare system in America?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trump should come out with another health care program but also keep Obama care and give people the choice as to which one they want. Then sit back and watch Obama care implode.

Last edited:
Obama Care is already imploding, high cost, high deductibles, providers leaving, it either needs to be fixed or replaced. Its been a disaster since its inception, limited coverage, high costs, hard to understand, typical of what we see with government involvement in an industry that should remain privatised.

Yeah, who knew? We should have started this thread on Twitter, then maybe it would have been read by "someone".
Anyhow, yes, the ACA (Obamacare) was a hybrid that can't go on living too long. But it was a start and a patch to the existing (previous) system, which was also imploding. But if you leave it to free-market capitalism, people will die. And there is no guarantee that YOU (any of you) will always have the money necessary to buy healthcare.
So come up with something GOOD and QUICK that everyone can like.

I don't have the money to buy healthcare now. I did before the aca. They just shifted who could afford it from the working class to the non working class.

Yeah, who knew? We should have started this thread on Twitter, then maybe it would have been read by "someone".
Anyhow, yes, the ACA (Obamacare) was a hybrid that can't go on living too long. But it was a start and a patch to the existing (previous) system, which was also imploding. But if you leave it to free-market capitalism, people will die. And there is no guarantee that YOU (any of you) will always have the money necessary to buy healthcare.
So come up with something GOOD and QUICK that everyone can like.

Why is free market capitalism a dirty word. It is the engine that has taken us 200 years from nothing to the place we are in the modern world.

Look at it instead of healthcare as an equally important maybe more important of us being healthy issue the food supply. It is a good example of free market capitalism. There is plenty of government oversight in all aspects of farming, processing and distribution of food goods and restaurant services all under the rules of the government but operating under the rules of free market capitalism. The government doesn’t tell you what you must eat and when and where you eat it. And if you don’t you have to pay a fine. Well at least they didn’t used to tell you. If the food supply was run by the government we would all be starving without free competition in the market place.

ACA was never intended to work it was only a starting point as far as they could go to get something passed. What they really wanted was a one payer system. The adjusting that’s going on now would be going on to if HRC had got in but it would be adjusting in the other direction moving closer to a one payer system. That is why they are called progressives. That is the methodology they use to change things slowly in one direction.

Last edited:
Why is free market capitalism a dirty word. It is the engine that has taken us 200 years from nothing to the place we are in the modern world.

I didn't say it was a dirty word. BUT....capitalism is a contest. It is a game which will produce winners and losers (remember that saying from the '80s: "Whoever dies with the most toys, wins.") Well, that's fine as long as you're winning. But eventually you will come up against somebody (or some company) that will beat you....and then you're a loser. What happens to all the losers? Do they disappear? If you have enough losers hanging around, they might get the idea to restart the game.
The alternative is a plutocracy, where the vast majority of us are relegated to some form of serfdom.

Look at it instead of healthcare as an equally important maybe more important of us being healthy issue the food supply. It is a good example of free market capitalism.
Perhaps you were just making an analogy here, but free market capitalism allows grocers to choose not to put stores in unprofitable locations. hence the creation of "food deserts" in some urban areas. No good food choices= no healthy lifestyle.

That is why they are called progressives. That is the methodology they use to change things slowly in one direction.

Last edited:
Remember you also choose where to live, you don't have to live in a food desert. Pretty much everyone has the ability to move or relocate unless they are in prison. We move for jobs all the time, I am personally moving for my health and tge quality upbringing of my kids. Life is what you make it. Key words "what you make it"

I didn't say it was a dirty word. BUT....capitalism is a contest. It is a game which will produce winners and losers (remember that saying from the '80s: "Whoever dies with the most toys, wins.") Well, that's fine as long as you're winning. But eventually you will come up against somebody (or some company) that will beat you....and then you're a loser. What happens to all the losers? Do they disappear? If you have enough losers hanging around, they might get the idea to restart the game.
The alternative is a plutocracy, where the vast majority of us are relegated to some form of serfdom.

Perhaps you were just making an analogy here, but free market capitalism allows grocers to choose not to put stores in unprofitable locations. hence the creation of "food deserts" in some urban areas. No good food choices= no healthy lifestyle.

I will agree with you on several points capitalism isn’t a game or a contest it is a competition. It is one you can take part in or sit on the sidelines and watch. I can site you 1000’s of people that used it to different degrees to lift themselves and the people they care about out of one class of life to a higher quality of life. Chris is a good example as he has told us his story before. He is not Bill Gates maybe but nonetheless he shows us the positive values of life in this country under free market capitalism.

I never said the system wasn’t cruel because there are always winners and losers. Capitalism doesn’t say that everyone will be a winner no system can say that. What it causes is an overall positive effect for those surrounding the winner. Just because one person does good doesn’t mean the people around him are surfs. They might have not done as well as the boss they still are doing better than they would have in a stagnant system where everyone is forced to be equal. There are all kinds of equality and sometime everyone being equal is that they all suffer equally.

The analogy to be made should be free market capitalism is an example of a rising tide lifts all ships.

I had to laugh at your counter statement to my food analogy, because it is so true of government intervention in free market capitalism. You suggest that grocery store owners shouldn’t be allowed to try and put all their stores in profitable locations. I agree people in a town of 250 people out in the middle of nowhere deserve a super Wal-Mart center and the all rich and powerful Wal-Mart should have to build them one and truck in the 200 employees to run it as long as we are at it they need one each of the ten top fast food places all the big cities have and maybe a half dozen family sit down restaurants and 3 or 4 mini marts. They need a lowes and home depot. Maybe a big sports store and a cinaplex also. About that time the 250 people living there that liked the simple life will be moving out.

Free market capitalism was never intended to be without a down side and suffering for some. That’s why the founders didn’t make free market capitalism the God of the country. They allowed a system where people build their businesses under that system and form their beliefs how others should be treated according to their faith. So maybe something has been lost along the way. We now see a starving person and we don’t think we are doing ok we should help this person because it is what our religion tells us to do. Instead we say it is because that 1% guy has too much and if he only had to give more of it to the government then the government could help this guy out.

That’s the classic debate between individual salvation and collective salvation. HRC wrote a book about it “It takes a Village” BHO many times spoke of the idea of collective salvation.

Trust me, a person with water up to his neck does not appreciate a rising tide.

I had to laugh at your counter statement to my food analogy, because it is so true of government intervention in free market capitalism. You suggest that grocery store owners shouldn’t be allowed to try and put all their stores in profitable locations. I agree people in a town of 250 people out in the middle of nowhere deserve a super Wal-Mart center and the all rich and powerful Wal-Mart should have to build them one and truck in the 200 employees to run it as long as we are at it they need one each of the ten top fast food places all the big cities have and maybe a half dozen family sit down restaurants and 3 or 4 mini marts. They need a lowes and home depot. Maybe a big sports store and a cinaplex also. About that time the 250 people living there that liked the simple life will be moving out.

Wow, you took that statement in a totally different direction than I was implying. Perhaps you should look up "food desert" and see what I was talking about.
I never said that grocers should not be allowed to put stores where they want (I don't think I even "suggested" it) I was illustrating how people that are poor are at such a disadvantage that even getting a crack at proper foods is a challenge, and how that relates back to healthcare issues. And I was not talking about small towns, although that can happen there as well. It is happening right in the middle of our biggest cities.
And you carrying the analogy to other big box stores in this context is just ridiculous.

Walmart won't even hire that many employees anymore-- not even the "super Walmart" in my town. The Walton kids are some of the wealthiest people in the country- the son is the wealthiest person in his state and the daughter is the wealthiest person in her state. Yet a majority of the employees require second jobs and/or public assistance to make ends meet. It is an example of the pure greed of huge corporations like that.

Granted, I don't know if there are any laws that the government could pass to make places like Walmart give better pay and treatment to employees. They would just find loopholes-- like when they had to give benefits to fulltime employees so they only have a few that they hire as fulltime and classify the rest as part-time and work them just under the amount of hours needed for fulltime. And they give them crap hours and they hire fewer people and expect a single employee to do the job of 5. This was one of the ways that the ACA hurt employees indirectly because greedy places like Walmart cut much-needed hours just to avoid paying benefits. And the sad thing is, if they paid their employees a living wage, it would only reduce their profits by 1%.

Also, like slownsteady said, not everyone has the option to just up and move. Not everyone has enough money to get transportation to move. Where I live, there is no public transportation. There are only sidewalks in a few places. There are no bike lanes. People can't safely walk or bike to another town-- and even if they could, the nearest towns have crap economies too.

Now, granted, there is a problem with people having fatalistic attitudes where they really feel trapped and hopeless. When people are taught that they don't have options or when they have tried to better themselves only to get stomped right back down by life, it can be hard for them to get back on their feet without help. Not all people who work hard have the opportunity or luck to be successful. Especially when there are large corporations like Walmart that treat employees like garbage and violate the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) by firing employees who get hospitalized, have severe health problems, or have to take care of sick relatives (mostly children) urgently. Granted, that doesn't happen at all Walmarts, but it happens at the one where I live. I have a friend who got fired for having a seizure at work. There were multiple ones who were fired for getting injured at work (due to unsafe equipment or managerial negligence) and one who got fired for having a medical crisis during childbirth that required her to stay in the hospital for longer than expected.

I think one of the problems is that people often view the world the way they have experienced it. So, if in your own experience you have found that something works for you, it is natural to feel that it should work for other people. But the economy and cultures vary drastically from one place to another in the US. You have people who are extremely wealthy and then you have people who are dirt poor.

Even if everyone had an excellent work ethic, it wouldn't necessarily guarantee success or that life wouldn't kick them in the balls. And on the flipside, there are some people who are just handed everything on a platter and never have to work for anything but they look down on the working class and/or completely lack empathy for others because they don't know what it is like to actually work.

But I've digressed vastly from the topic now. I think that as long as we have people who value money over human lives, we will have this problem. And the government can't force people to care about others or to not be greedy.

I honestly don't know what could be done to rectify some of those problems. But I don't think it is ever as black and white as some people seem to think. Different situations require different solutions. I don't know if there will ever be one mass plan that can fairly cover it all. But, that doesn't mean we should stop trying to find something that will help as many people as possible without causing unfair disadvantage to others.

Walmart won't even hire that many employees anymore-- not even the "super Walmart" in my town. The Walton kids are some of the wealthiest people in the country- the son is the wealthiest person in his state and the daughter is the wealthiest person in her state. Yet a majority of the employees require second jobs and/or public assistance to make ends meet. It is an example of the pure greed of huge corporations like that.

Granted, I don't know if there are any laws that the government could pass to make places like Walmart give better pay and treatment to employees. They would just find loopholes-- like when they had to give benefits to fulltime employees so they only have a few that they hire as fulltime and classify the rest as part-time and work them just under the amount of hours needed for fulltime. And they give them crap hours and they hire fewer people and expect a single employee to do the job of 5. This was one of the ways that the ACA hurt employees indirectly because greedy places like Walmart cut much-needed hours just to avoid paying benefits. And the sad thing is, if they paid their employees a living wage, it would only reduce their profits by 1%.

Also, like slownsteady said, not everyone has the option to just up and move. Not everyone has enough money to get transportation to move. Where I live, there is no public transportation. There are only sidewalks in a few places. There are no bike lanes. People can't safely walk or bike to another town-- and even if they could, the nearest towns have crap economies too.

Now, granted, there is a problem with people having fatalistic attitudes where they really feel trapped and hopeless. When people are taught that they don't have options or when they have tried to better themselves only to get stomped right back down by life, it can be hard for them to get back on their feet without help. Not all people who work hard have the opportunity or luck to be successful. Especially when there are large corporations like Walmart that treat employees like garbage and violate the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) by firing employees who get hospitalized, have severe health problems, or have to take care of sick relatives (mostly children) urgently. Granted, that doesn't happen at all Walmarts, but it happens at the one where I live. I have a friend who got fired for having a seizure at work. There were multiple ones who were fired for getting injured at work (due to unsafe equipment or managerial negligence) and one who got fired for having a medical crisis during childbirth that required her to stay in the hospital for longer than expected.

I think one of the problems is that people often view the world the way they have experienced it. So, if in your own experience you have found that something works for you, it is natural to feel that it should work for other people. But the economy and cultures vary drastically from one place to another in the US. You have people who are extremely wealthy and then you have people who are dirt poor.

Even if everyone had an excellent work ethic, it wouldn't necessarily guarantee success or that life wouldn't kick them in the balls. And on the flipside, there are some people who are just handed everything on a platter and never have to work for anything but they look down on the working class and/or completely lack empathy for others because they don't know what it is like to actually work.

But I've digressed vastly from the topic now. I think that as long as we have people who value money over human lives, we will have this problem. And the government can't force people to care about others or to not be greedy.

I honestly don't know what could be done to rectify some of those problems. But I don't think it is ever as black and white as some people seem to think. Different situations require different solutions. I don't know if there will ever be one mass plan that can fairly cover it all. But, that doesn't mean we should stop trying to find something that will help as many people as possible without causing unfair disadvantage to others.

We had a Wal-Mart move in a reasonable distance outside the little town I grew up in here. As a kid we had three little grocery stores a hardware and a Western Auto and three filling stations that also did car repairs and we even had a car dealer. The three stores battled it out until one survived and doubled in size it was a mom and pop operation and he employed locals and pretty much they had a job for life if they wanted it. I wasn’t happy about Wal-Mart coming in particular, but what really surprised me was how many of the long-time locals quit their jobs in town and went to work for Wal-Mart as soon as it opened. So, there had to be some attraction to wanting to work there. As expected the last grocery store went under as all the towns people went to Wal-Mart to shop. I go in the Wal-Mart now and the people working I know seem happy and I haven’t seen a revolt or a walkout because they were treated like slave labor.

If Wal-Mart could give up 1% of their profits and make all their employees lives so much better why doesn’t the post office a government run business do the same thing. In our little town there are about a dozen employees and only one is full time he is the postmaster. My friend worked there for 30 years behind the counter weighing and stamping and saying hi to everyone that came thru the door and never got paid for one holiday or any of the full time benefits. And that is a federal job. On a local level all school bus drivers are part time with lousy benefits and they are trusted with our kids lives 5 days a week. Now the people at the top take a good salary and benefits spending my tax dollars. To me Wal-Mart is doing the same thing the rest of government is doing. How about the Military They get some pretty good benefits in terms of health care and comparable pay to working at Wal-Mart to boot but then again look at what we are asking of our service men and women Wal-Mart doesn’t ask of their employees. The major one is you are required to put your life on the line for your pay and benefits along with your work day if needed is 24-7 without break time. For that we start you out at something like $25k per year. Oh and unlike Wal-Mart once you hire on if you don’t like it you can’t walk out the door.

I do agree we all view all things thru our own eyes and the life we have lived looking out thru them. I always try and reverse the view whenever I can and I will ask you to try and do the same for a week dig a little deeper into say the topic of why in the world do people go to Wal-Mart fill out an application and take a job there. And then really once they find out what a awful place it is why do they stay there. I wonder if Wal-Mart drugs them or hypnotize them or something mind altering to take away their free will. I was there once and a young kid came up to me in the electronics department wearing a blue bib thing and a big smile and asked if I needed any help. I said I did but I had a question first and he said shoot. I said do they make you smile and sound upbeat when you ask me if I need help. He said no that’s just me I like to help people with computer questions and that’s my job. He did a great job helping me and a couple days later at my work where I was getting paid a good deal more than he was someone came up to me with a question and I barked back “What the hell do you want now?” at that moment I viewed my job thru the kid at Wal-Marts eyes and I said I’m really sorry that was uncalled for what can I do to help you.

We had a Wal-Mart move in a reasonable distance outside the little town I grew up in here. As a kid we had three little grocery stores a hardware and a Western Auto and three filling stations that also did car repairs and we even had a car dealer. The three stores battled it out until one survived and doubled in size it was a mom and pop operation and he employed locals and pretty much they had a job for life if they wanted it. I wasn’t happy about Wal-Mart coming in particular, but what really surprised me was how many of the long-time locals quit their jobs in town and went to work for Wal-Mart as soon as it opened. So, there had to be some attraction to wanting to work there. As expected the last grocery store went under as all the towns people went to Wal-Mart to shop. I go in the Wal-Mart now and the people working I know seem happy and I haven’t seen a revolt or a walkout because they were treated like slave labor.

If Wal-Mart could give up 1% of their profits and make all their employees lives so much better why doesn’t the post office a government run business do the same thing. In our little town there are about a dozen employees and only one is full time he is the postmaster. My friend worked there for 30 years behind the counter weighing and stamping and saying hi to everyone that came thru the door and never got paid for one holiday or any of the full time benefits. And that is a federal job. On a local level all school bus drivers are part time with lousy benefits and they are trusted with our kids lives 5 days a week. Now the people at the top take a good salary and benefits spending my tax dollars. To me Wal-Mart is doing the same thing the rest of government is doing. How about the Military They get some pretty good benefits in terms of health care and comparable pay to working at Wal-Mart to boot but then again look at what we are asking of our service men and women Wal-Mart doesn’t ask of their employees. The major one is you are required to put your life on the line for your pay and benefits along with your work day if needed is 24-7 without break time. For that we start you out at something like $25k per year. Oh and unlike Wal-Mart once you hire on if you don’t like it you can’t walk out the door.

I do agree we all view all things thru our own eyes and the life we have lived looking out thru them. I always try and reverse the view whenever I can and I will ask you to try and do the same for a week dig a little deeper into say the topic of why in the world do people go to Wal-Mart fill out an application and take a job there. And then really once they find out what a awful place it is why do they stay there. I wonder if Wal-Mart drugs them or hypnotize them or something mind altering to take away their free will. I was there once and a young kid came up to me in the electronics department wearing a blue bib thing and a big smile and asked if I needed any help. I said I did but I had a question first and he said shoot. I said do they make you smile and sound upbeat when you ask me if I need help. He said no that’s just me I like to help people with computer questions and that’s my job. He did a great job helping me and a couple days later at my work where I was getting paid a good deal more than he was someone came up to me with a question and I barked back “What the hell do you want now?” at that moment I viewed my job thru the kid at Wal-Marts eyes and I said I’m really sorry that was uncalled for what can I do to help you.
How long ago was it that the Walmart moved to your town? If it was while Sam Walton was still alive, it was apparently a great place to work. He gave employees good pay and benefits and he wanted it to be a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, once he died, his kids were greedy little buggers and turned it in to a suckfest for the employees. Granted, some Walmarts are better than others. I think they are nicer in states that aren't At Will employment. The quality of the Walmart greatly depends on who the store manager is. Some are compassionate and good people-- and then there are others who are terrible. My local Walmart had some pretty bad managers-- one of them was so bad that 9 cashiers and 4 overnight stockers all quit the same day (the day they got their paychecks). That manager was verbally abusive to the employees AND to customers. First time I met her she was incredibly rude.

The local Walmart also has a bad habit of making BS excuses to fire people who were just about to be eligible for a raise or some sort of benefits/bonus. A friend of mine checked her schedule and it said she wasn't supposed to be on a certain day-- she even directly asked her manager about it because she didn't request that day off. Manger said it was her day off. Then at the last second, the manager put her name on the list to say she was supposed to be working that day and wrote her up for no-call no-show. They generally will fire people and tell them to re-apply in a few months so they have to start out at the bottom again. And some people are so desperate for jobs that they keep coming back because there is nothing else in the area. Higher end places require a bachelor's degree (which most people here don't have) and the majority of places won't hire anyone who has ANY college experience.

The previous manager was actually caught (on the security cameras with audio in her office) plotting with some of the supervisors to fire an employee who had worked there for over 10 years because she hated paying that employee $13 per hour.

I think they've changed managers about 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years. This store has a lot of theft and laziness from the employees-- because they don't reward good hard work and they generally treat people like garbage.

Quite a few people quit, but there are people who despise working at Walmart but realize they don't have other options because a lot of people in town have two jobs. So, even though the work and the pay sucks, they keep working there because it's better than being unemployed and having no income (because it is very difficult to get unemployment here now-- they closed the unemployment offices down and tell people they have to go online but their website is buggy as hell).

I don't know much about the post office, but from what I understand, it doesn't even make a profit. When it comes to the government paying for things, they don't usually do things that make sense-- and the post office is one of the areas where they are screwing up. My local post office only has a few employees. People have to pay $300 just to apply for a job here. And if they have delivery people who have to use their own vehicles and are not given any medical benefits and are not compensated for their gas usage. (I know this because I read the flier they put up when they were hiring people and it included all of this info-- wish I'd taken a photo).

That said-- the post office and a big for profit corporation like Walmart are two very separate beasts. It's not like the government itself is rolling in $ from the post office. If anything, they are actually losing money.

We had 2 little grocery stores, a Radio Shack, and a few other small businesses before Walmart rolled in. All but one (an IGA)) closed because they couldn't compete. The IGA only stayed open because it was within walking distance of a lot of the lower income homes and it has better quality meat than Walmart.

A Fred's opened up a couple of years ago but it is already closing down-- it had even worse pay and treatment than Walmart.

How long ago was it that the Walmart moved to your town? If it was while Sam Walton was still alive, it was apparently a great place to work. He gave employees good pay and benefits and he wanted it to be a family atmosphere. Unfortunately, once he died, his kids were greedy little buggers and turned it in to a suckfest for the employees. Granted, some Walmarts are better than others. I think they are nicer in states that aren't At Will employment. The quality of the Walmart greatly depends on who the store manager is. Some are compassionate and good people-- and then there are others who are terrible. My local Walmart had some pretty bad managers-- one of them was so bad that 9 cashiers and 4 overnight stockers all quit the same day (the day they got their paychecks). That manager was verbally abusive to the employees AND to customers. First time I met her she was incredibly rude.

The local Walmart also has a bad habit of making BS excuses to fire people who were just about to be eligible for a raise or some sort of benefits/bonus. A friend of mine checked her schedule and it said she wasn't supposed to be on a certain day-- she even directly asked her manager about it because she didn't request that day off. Manger said it was her day off. Then at the last second, the manager put her name on the list to say she was supposed to be working that day and wrote her up for no-call no-show. They generally will fire people and tell them to re-apply in a few months so they have to start out at the bottom again. And some people are so desperate for jobs that they keep coming back because there is nothing else in the area. Higher end places require a bachelor's degree (which most people here don't have) and the majority of places won't hire anyone who has ANY college experience.

The previous manager was actually caught (on the security cameras with audio in her office) plotting with some of the supervisors to fire an employee who had worked there for over 10 years because she hated paying that employee $13 per hour.

I think they've changed managers about 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years. This store has a lot of theft and laziness from the employees-- because they don't reward good hard work and they generally treat people like garbage.

Quite a few people quit, but there are people who despise working at Walmart but realize they don't have other options because a lot of people in town have two jobs. So, even though the work and the pay sucks, they keep working there because it's better than being unemployed and having no income (because it is very difficult to get unemployment here now-- they closed the unemployment offices down and tell people they have to go online but their website is buggy as hell).

I don't know much about the post office, but from what I understand, it doesn't even make a profit. When it comes to the government paying for things, they don't usually do things that make sense-- and the post office is one of the areas where they are screwing up. My local post office only has a few employees. People have to pay $300 just to apply for a job here. And if they have delivery people who have to use their own vehicles and are not given any medical benefits and are not compensated for their gas usage. (I know this because I read the flier they put up when they were hiring people and it included all of this info-- wish I'd taken a photo).

That said-- the post office and a big for profit corporation like Walmart are two very separate beasts. It's not like the government itself is rolling in $ from the post office. If anything, they are actually losing money.

We had 2 little grocery stores, a Radio Shack, and a few other small businesses before Walmart rolled in. All but one (an IGA)) closed because they couldn't compete. The IGA only stayed open because it was within walking distance of a lot of the lower income homes and it has better quality meat than Walmart.

A Fred's opened up a couple of years ago but it is already closing down-- it had even worse pay and treatment than Walmart.

If what you say is true and I don’t doubt it is in part at least then you should be glad that we have free market capitalism in this country. It is not just about the owners being able to function in any manner they want it is also about employs and costumers being able to do the same. Sad as it sounds the Walton kids can ruin their father’s business anyway they want and will end up like so many Sears locations did. Once it was Sears and then it was Kmart and next it will be Wal-Mart, and a new Sam Walton guy will come along with a better idea and kick them to the curb that’s how free market capitalism works. You screw up you lose, no one bails you out. You are right the post office would be out of business 40 year ago and something better would have fill the gap like FedEx. But they can’t completely because the post office can’t fail no matter how stupid they are because they are propped up by the government and do not play by the rules of free market capitalism. If DJT wants to pay for healthcare or building a wall I don’t know why he doesn’t let the post office die and let free enterprise take over. That would be a step in the right direction.

Sounds like if I lived in your town I would work at Walmart and save up my money and buy a school bus maybe a used one. I would then start a business taking people someplace else to apply for work. I would pick up a load every morning and take them to a better place to work and eventually live and bring them home at night. There must be a town within 100 miles where the only game in town isn’t Wal-Mart.

We have a similar distressed ban of small towns strung out east and west here that were once serviced by the railroad. As a kid I remember hearing how poor these towns became when the railroad left and everyone worked for the railroad directly or indirectly. Here it is 50 years later and I still hear people not yet born 50 years ago, saying there is nothing here to do the railroad is gone. Guess what the railroad wasn’t coming back 50 years ago it is time to stop waiting and drive 30 miles where there is work. It isn’t easy but there is almost always a way to restack the deck in your favor. If Wal-Mart laid me off so as to not have to pay me more and then told me to reapply and start over, I would be putting my stuff in a wheelbarrow and heading down the road on foot if I had to before I would be giving them a second chance at me.

If what you say is true and I don’t doubt it is in part at least then you should be glad that we have free market capitalism in this country. It is not just about the owners being able to function in any manner they want it is also about employs and costumers being able to do the same. Sad as it sounds the Walton kids can ruin their father’s business anyway they want and will end up like so many Sears locations did. Once it was Sears and then it was Kmart and next it will be Wal-Mart, and a new Sam Walton guy will come along with a better idea and kick them to the curb that’s how free market capitalism works. You screw up you lose, no one bails you out. You are right the post office would be out of business 40 year ago and something better would have fill the gap like FedEx. But they can’t completely because the post office can’t fail no matter how stupid they are because they are propped up by the government and do not play by the rules of free market capitalism. If DJT wants to pay for healthcare or building a wall I don’t know why he doesn’t let the post office die and let free enterprise take over. That would be a step in the right direction.

Sounds like if I lived in your town I would work at Walmart and save up my money and buy a school bus maybe a used one. I would then start a business taking people someplace else to apply for work. I would pick up a load every morning and take them to a better place to work and eventually live and bring them home at night. There must be a town within 100 miles where the only game in town isn’t Wal-Mart.

We have a similar distressed ban of small towns strung out east and west here that were once serviced by the railroad. As a kid I remember hearing how poor these towns became when the railroad left and everyone worked for the railroad directly or indirectly. Here it is 50 years later and I still hear people not yet born 50 years ago, saying there is nothing here to do the railroad is gone. Guess what the railroad wasn’t coming back 50 years ago it is time to stop waiting and drive 30 miles where there is work. It isn’t easy but there is almost always a way to restack the deck in your favor. If Wal-Mart laid me off so as to not have to pay me more and then told me to reapply and start over, I would be putting my stuff in a wheelbarrow and heading down the road on foot if I had to before I would be giving them a second chance at me.

Bud, @ $10 bucks an hour you are going to live and save money to buy a bus and run it a hundred miles both ways so people can look for work, who pays for the gas?
I like your idea of a wheel barrow but they can be expensive grocery carts are pretty handy. Most people will be looking down at you while you are pushing your cart from town to town.

Latest posts

Back