How long is tyvec building wrap good for?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have wrapped my garage. I plan on siding it in the spring. However, if I am not able to get to it for a while, how long will the Tyvec building wrap last without being covered?

Depends on many factors. I see people put it on here and start siding and then stop and the next year it is tattered and torn from wind and sun. It is intended to be covered up within a short period of time. If not I would really staple it good. You should be fine till spring.

Lath is what Firefighters use when the put tar paper or plastic sheathing over the windows they have removed or the holes they had to cut to be able to get inside and extinguish the fire. Those patches often last for 6 months of more in all kinds of weather.

In case you've ever wondered why firefighters break the windows and / or cut holes in the roof, it is to release the super heated gasses that the fire has produced. Entering that super heated environment without reducing the temperature would be fatal in a few minutes even to a firefighter wearing full protective clothing and breathing air from a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). By releasing that very buoyant super heated gas from the structure they make it possible to go inside and extinguish the fire before it can spread throughout the rest of the structure. No holes would mean no entry and you only stay outside when the structure is really well involved in fire and there is no chance that any of the rooms have a survivable environment.

"We will risk a lot to protect a savable life, we will risk a little to protect savable property, we will not take any risk to protect lives or property that are already lost" RIP
Chief Alan Brunacini then commanding Phoenix Fire Department.

--
Tom Horne

the Tyvek brand wrap does NOT last 6 months. Other brands, such as Lowes carries will go for a year. Check out the specs.

From my experience, Tyvek is meant to be an air infiltration and maybe a moisture barrier too.
It is not meant to be an exterior finish for a building.
It should be covered with whatever siding or equivalent is intended for the building as soon as possible.
The more it is damaged, the less it can do its intended job.
That includes nail holes in it.

My experience with it is from Alaska where air infiltration is a major concern for thermal efficiency.
Putting it on a garage strikes me as being a bit of a waste.
Thermal efficiency is not much to be worried about for a garage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back