How often do you clean the house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
Hello all. I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors, and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the countertops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc. It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?

Hello all. I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors, and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the countertops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc. It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?
no response

I’m 67 and my parents cleaned all the time. Daily mom would always be working on something. Then twice a year they would do what they called deep cleaning and remove everything from the room and wash the walls even.

I don’t know anyone that does all that as a regular thing today. Homes burn cleaner fuels today for heat and most have AC also and that helps. We sweep or run the vac about every other day in the heavy use rooms.

In general I feel people don’t show the same pride in their homes as people did 50 years or more ago. As a kid every house on the block had sidewalks perfectly edged and hedges trimmed at all times. I remember our neighbor lady cleaning her windows inside and out once a week. Even my dad thought she was crazy washing windows in a snow storm.

When it gets bad or when I feel like it. I'm not a 'pig' but a little dust or dirt never killed anybody.

I’m 67 and my parents cleaned all the time. Daily mom would always be working on something. Then twice a year they would do what they called deep cleaning and remove everything from the room and wash the walls even.

I don’t know anyone that does all that as a regular thing today. Homes burn cleaner fuels today for heat and most have AC also and that helps. We sweep or run the vac about every other day in the heavy use rooms.

In general I feel people don’t show the same pride in their homes as people did 50 years or more ago. As a kid every house on the block had sidewalks perfectly edged and hedges trimmed at all times House Cleaning Raleigh. I remember our neighbor lady cleaning her windows inside and out once a week. Even my dad thought she was crazy washing windows in a snow storm.
thank you so much for your response and suggestion

Hey there! For us, it's more of a mix. We do a bit of cleaning every day, like wiping down the counters and quick vacuuming. We save the big stuff, like bathrooms and floors, for the weekend. We don't have a house cleaner, so we all chip in to get it done. It can be hard to fit it all in with work and everything, but we just do our best to keep things manageable!

We have two Roomba Vacuums that run every other day. One is on the east side of the house, and the other on the west side of the house. I clean my bathroom daily, but the other half deep cleans all 3 bathrooms weekly. The sheets are washed weekly.
I clean up the outside daily, sweeping leaves and picking up downed fruit daily. I mow the lawn 2-3 times a week, and edge the grass once a week.
Once a month, I pull the cars out of the garage and scrub down the epoxy floor in the garage. That is on my agenda tomorrow.

With seven children plus various stray no-parent neighborhood kids that lived with us, we each had daily cleaning tasks. Nothing was skipped. The older ones taught the younger ones.

With a Made In Italy mother and a Made in Prussia father, we surely did our jobs well. When they came home from their jobs, if one of us had slacked off, Oh Boy! (Don't forget to dust the light bulbs!)

Note that they also cleaned and cleaned. They were the hardest working people I've even known. Two jobs each and a bunch-o-bunch of kids. I couldn't do it!

Paul

Hey there,

Yeah, times have definitely changed when it comes to cleaning routines. Back when I was growing up, it was a big weekly affair—dusting, bathroom scrubbing, floor washing, and vacuuming. The kitchen got daily attention too, with countertops, sinks, and keeping things tidy in the fridge and stove.

Nowadays, with everyone's busy schedules and many folks working full-time, keeping up with all that can feel nearly impossible. A lot of people opt for paid house cleaners these days. It's become a practical solution for many to manage the workload and still keep things tidy.

Hope that helps!

I have a friend that her and her daughter clean homes weekly for rich people. A bunch of them are doctors as it is kind of a word of mouth type business. She said early on it is impossible to know whose stuff is cluttering the surfaces and mostly nothing is ever picked up before they arrive. So she asks people where do you want the pile? Most pick a corner of the living room or a hallway. She gets there and the first thing they do if the space is empty the vacuum the floor there and then go thru the common spaces and pick up everything out of place like toys and electronics and clothing and put it in the pile. She says half the time the pile is still there from the week before. Then they pick up all the dishes scattered thru the house and put them in the dishwasher and turn it on. It is normally full of dirty dishes so they run them first. Then they can start cleaning.

She said mostly no one lifts a finger and are slobs and she hopes the kids also become wealthy because for the most part they have been taught nothing. She said just when you start losing faith in people she will get a new family to clean for and their house will be spotless. They will tell her we want you to do deep cleaning maybe one room a week.

She cleans for one wealthy family and the woman of the house had the house designed where every bedroom has its own closet with a stacked washer and dryer. Each kid was taught at a young age how to do their own laundry and they do a good job of it.

My dad had me take the throw rugs outside and put them over the cloths line and beat them with a broom handle. I asked why we didn’t just use the Hover and he said because this is good for you. I knew better than to argue.

It was easier with more people in the house. Anymore however, I'll clean the countertops, bar, and table at least weekly. Sweeping is as needed, and with three dogs, it's needed quite often. The bathrooms. . . . . all I can say is I try every week.

Back