How often do you clean the house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
Hello all. I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors, and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the countertops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc. It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?

Hello all. I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors, and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the countertops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc. It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?
no response

I’m 67 and my parents cleaned all the time. Daily mom would always be working on something. Then twice a year they would do what they called deep cleaning and remove everything from the room and wash the walls even.

I don’t know anyone that does all that as a regular thing today. Homes burn cleaner fuels today for heat and most have AC also and that helps. We sweep or run the vac about every other day in the heavy use rooms.

In general I feel people don’t show the same pride in their homes as people did 50 years or more ago. As a kid every house on the block had sidewalks perfectly edged and hedges trimmed at all times. I remember our neighbor lady cleaning her windows inside and out once a week. Even my dad thought she was crazy washing windows in a snow storm.

When it gets bad or when I feel like it. I'm not a 'pig' but a little dust or dirt never killed anybody.

Latest posts

Back