How to diagnose what is causing this stucco failure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gy9876

Reaction score
My parents house is having stucco and interior paint failure. Here are some pictures -

I posted this to the home improvement subreddit as well. I figure posting here might get better results.

My parents have noticed this issue has been progressing over the last month or two. They had some roof work done last summer and the roofers came out to look at this issue. They claim there is nothing wrong with their work and think there must be a leak through the chimney. They are having another roofing contractor come out on Wednesday to look. However, they're not even sure they should be talking with roofers. What other experts can they contact? How can they figure what's going on as it seems pretty severe and they want to fix this asap.

Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome.

A photo from the top of the roof would be of assistance.

Welcome.

A photo from the top of the roof would be of assistance.
Do you want a photo looking around the chimney, just the general roof area above where the stucco is failing, both, something else?

I might need to wait until Wednesday to have the roofing contractor get a picture. I don't feel comfortable or even have the means of getting up on the roof. Its a very tall house.

Yes please. The photo will show the roof shape as well as the flashing.

It's a possibility that the damage was previously created, and the cause already addressed.

Water is almost always the cause. That's where a picture from above will help.

Have him take pics of all the areas, not just the chimney. Windows, that recessed area, flashings, the chimney crown, anything that might be a point of entry for water.

Have him take pics of all the areas, not just the chimney. Windows, that recessed area, flashings, the chimney crown, anything that might be a point of entry for water.
Will do, I'll make sure to post all the pictures on this thread once I have them. We also now have a restoration contractor coming out this week to take a look. I'll keep this thread updated.

That recessed area that looks like a window caught my eye... water may be leaking into the bottom of it..

Back