How to move upright piano around house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
Hi,

I intended to move my upright piano from one room to another, in the same floor level, just around 10 ft distance, all are hardwood floor.

Piano is very heavy. Did anyone has successfully done that before, please give me some advice. Is there any simple tool that I can use to help me to achieve this job?

Thank you.

UprightPiano.jpg

I would get 4 big guys and pick it up. If that is not and option then I would buy 4 of the furniture moving glide pads.

Aside from the pads there are also small rollers you can set each corner on

They make little furniture sliding pads and various types of rollers that you can put under each leg to make it easier to slide and keep it from scratching the floor. These aren't perfect, however. If you aren't careful and they slide off, it can scratch the floor quite badly.

Some questions to ponder ahead of time:

How was this gotten into the house? Was it flipped sideways and toted in or brought in turned sideways (or vertically) on some kind of large padded appliance hand truck (usually with straps)? I can't imagine most doorways being that wide. A standard upright piano is approximately 5 feet wide. The height of an upright piano is more than 4 feet. Except for maybe our entrance between our living room and dining room, for instance...such a thing wouldn't fit through any other doorways in our house. Are your doorways wide?

Is there is a threshold hump in between the two rooms where any sliders or rollers could snag and tear up the floor?

Is it going to fit into the next room without flipping it sideways? If it won't, then you're better off having several strong men come in and physically pick it up and move it.

Any grit on the floor will be ground in by the plastic sliders, so make absolutely sure that the floor is clean before using them. We've also had good luck moving heavy furniture by placing it on a small sturdy rug (like a large welcome mat) and using that to slide the furniture. You can use two for something as large as a piano; just make sure that you don't push it off the rug(s).

Latest posts

Back