How to protect crumbling concrete stairs in winter?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Fripp

Reaction score
IMG_0130.JPG
I can't repair the steps until spring. If I paint sealer on the steps to prevent further damage over the winter, will I be able to patch concrete on top of the sealer? or will I have to remove the sealer chemically or by chipping away at the damaged areas?
Is there a way to protect against moisture without using sealer?
No experience with concrete, as you can tell. Thanks.

Welcome.

The treds and risers do not appear to have suffered, affecting the ladder ways use, so I would do nothing until spring/summer, then repair.

I agree with @Snoonyb. The damage wont be that much more and maybe the frost / freeze thaw will get the really weak stuff out.

Come spring I would pressure wash it all getting as much of the remaining bad stuff out and then I would patch it with a product called cement-all it is sold at Home Depot and other places it is a fairly common product no one seems to know about.

There are many videos you can watch over the winter here is one.

And welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I agree with @Snoonyb. The damage wont be that much more and maybe the frost / freeze thaw will get the really weak stuff out.

Come spring I would pressure wash it all getting as much of the remaining bad stuff out and then I would patch it with a product called cement-all it is sold at Home Depot and other places it is a fairly common product no one seems to know about.

Thank you so much
Welcome.

The treds and risers do not appear to have suffered, affecting the ladder ways use, so I would do nothing until spring/summer, then repair.
Thanks, @Snoonyb. I appreciate the advice!

Thanks very much, bud16415. I appreciate your advice!

Back