How to repair tile ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I’m working on an older house for my son and the ceiling in the back room has an issue where an old stove pipe used to be. In that area, the tile ceiling it falling down. I’m not sure on the type of ceiling, it it appears to be 12” by 12” tiles nailed to wooden strips. I really don’t want to rip out the ceiling and replace, so looking for an option to repair. Anyone here have any suggestion on what I can do or how I should start?
FYI, the roof has been replaced with a new roof so no more water damage (I hope.). Photos included. Thanks.

Attachments

• 23AF7995-A4CD-436A-A2B7-E9B02DFE352B.jpeg
    23AF7995-A4CD-436A-A2B7-E9B02DFE352B.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 960AB4E8-9A50-4F03-BF09-425FC4AE47BA.jpeg
    960AB4E8-9A50-4F03-BF09-425FC4AE47BA.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 7
Depends on how nice you want it to look. I would rip them all down and put up .5” drywall attaching it to the same strips. I know an old guy that screwed it all up tight and then skim coated a plaster finish over the whole house. You could never tell the ceiling wasn’t full plaster. If you do go with drywall make sure the strips are up there good and add screws thru the old plaster and into the joists if needed.

You can paint the old and new tiles to all match if you go that way. They are T&G so it will be a pain fixing tiles in the middle, but can be done.

I did a repair at USC Dental Lab, by cutting off either the tongue or grove and attaching with panel adhesive and a couple pin head finish nails.

Old tricks.

Back