HVAC concerns.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsshelley

Reaction score
I just brought this house and they didn't note it on the inspection report. The previous homeowner sealed up the filter inlet from the return vent and cut two opening in the return vent. He put a bigger filter so I believe after playing with it he had two in there one against the wall and the other to hold it up. Then there vent on the other side of the return vent. What will this situation cause the furnace to do?

Attachments

• return vent.jpg
    return vent.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4
  • filter place 16x25.jpg
    filter place 16x25.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 4
I’m not quite sure what you said he did and your photos are close ups so it is hard to get the big picture.

So the owners completely change the air filter placement and then they added a return vent. in the first picture is the original placement of the air filter the size is 16x25. Second Pic #2 and #3 for the filter he is now using a filter size 25 x25 and he is using two filters one against the return then the second filter is leaned up against the first filter to hold it in place. Third he put a vent on the return air duct. . So my question what will this set do to the furnace in regards to performance and longevity.

Attachments

• original filter placement(pic #1).jpg
    original filter placement(pic #1).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4
  • filter set up(Pic#2).jpg
    filter set up(Pic#2).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Filter set up(Pic #3).jpg
    Filter set up(Pic #3).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Vent on return air.jpg
    Vent on return air.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3
As far as moving the filter I’m not sure why it was none but I don’t think it will cause any problems. I would want to figure a better way to hold it in place. Maybe he couldn’t get the quality of filter he wanted in the size that slides in the slot.

As to the vent I added one to mine also but I put mine on the hot side so I could get a little heat into the basement area as it has none its an old fieldstone basement and has a door so it got really cold down there and I was worrying about pipes. Putting it on the cold side it seems like he is trying to get more airflow going in and drawing air from the basement will cause warm house air to flow down to replace it. You would be using the staircase as a cold return kind of. If the stairs are in a part of the house where it was cold there might be some logic there.

I really don’t think any of it will do harm. Are you noticing a problem?

No problems with the unit. Apparently the unit is the original and he stated its not very efficient.

Back