I need a Vice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney

Reaction score
I need a vice with car bushing replacements and everything. I've heard a few times that you shouldn't buy them from China. Would you guys agree?

Well, if you want to take up a vice, you probably should avoid the ugly ones like smoking or gambling - you can have much safer fun with things like kinky strapon... oh, you mean viSe, not vice! :)

Most of the chinese imports aren't that bad, and are certainly adequate for most home garages - a quick look around your local harbor freight, tractor supply, or similar should let you see what options they have and what the quality is.

I personally like the type that can be rotated, for clamping objects vertically, like http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5655 - being able to work on parts at any position makes your life much easier!

--Bushytails

expesnsive,but yes go with a Wilton.awesome pieces.Oh and they never open big enough.Unless you got the huge monsters like i have at work in the fab shop:D

Well, if you want to take up a vice, you probably should avoid the ugly ones like smoking or gambling - you can have much safer fun with things like kinky strapon... oh, you mean viSe, not vice! :)

Most of the chinese imports aren't that bad, and are certainly adequate for most home garages - a quick look around your local harbor freight, tractor supply, or similar should let you see what options they have and what the quality is.

I personally like the type that can be rotated, for clamping objects vertically, like http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5655 - being able to work on parts at any position makes your life much easier!

--Bushytails

I have to respectfully disagree about harbor freight; I have seen three HF bench vises fail due to brittle fractures (Including that exact one).
I have had great luck with my Wilton, and I have abused it more than I probably should. A good bench vise can last for well over 20 years, and is probably one of the most used pieces of equipment in a garage or workshop, buying quality it worth it.

You really would be better off to avoid horrible freight and the other rice tools. Look on craigslist, you can always find a few heavy vices in there. Chances are you can buy an older, QUALITY vise that will last forever for around $20-40 bucks. If you want new, I have a Craftsman 5-1/2" that I have abused for 15 years with no probs. But they run around $60 big ones.

You'll thank yourself later....

Back