Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

Help Support House Repair Talk:

zannej

Reaction score
Question in terms of door structure: Both my exterior and interior doors currently have a single 2x4 as a header (I know I absolutely need to replace that on the exterior load-bearing one). For the interior non-load-bearing wall, can I get away with using a 4x4 header hanger on one side and a jack stud on the other when I move the doorway over 4"? There is a king stud 4" over from where the jack stud currently is.
Simpson Strong-Tie HH Galvanized Header Hanger for 4x Nominal Lumber-HH4 - The Home Depot is the product.

Or, seeing as it isn't load-bearing, could I get away with keeping the existing 2x4 & using some sort of shelf plain L shaped bracket that can support shelves?

Or could I drive some sturdy screws designed for joists in to the header from the side of the king stud (assuming there's enough room for a drill & screwdriver in there).
bdoorwayplan.png

zannej

Reaction score
Got the Moen Engage 5.5" 2.5gpm handheld showerhead and the guest bathroom since my brother just wants a handheld and doesn't care about a fixed showerhead. The one with the fixed showerhead plus handheld is going in my bathroom. Got the Multi-Choice valve for Pex crimp fitting. I will be picking up some 3/4" conduit elbows (which are less than $1 each) so I won't have to get expensive elbow fittings. My friend used conduit for his valve.
Got the Delta Lahara trim again (gave 1st one to my friend to use in his shower-- we get to take showers at his house whenever we want until we get our stuff fixed). Still need a 2nd shower arm and another shower trim for guest bathroom.

Meanwhile, I have picked out the faucet for the guest bathroom. I'd been looking at Moen ones but they were expensive & not the right style. Closest was the one my Mom got on clearance for her bathroom, but I decided that since we're getting a Delta trim we can get a Delta faucet. Found the Delta Porter faucet on e-bay (open box) for $54 w/ "fast & free" shipping & free returns w/in 30 days. Alternative is to buy new for $69 at HD. It has a nice high arc and longer reach than the Moen ones.
s-l640 (2).jpgs-l640.jpg

zannej

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure why I thought I got a 2-light vanity lamp. We apparently got a 3-light one on clearance. The display model looked better than the online pictures. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Portfolio-3-Light-Chrome-Modern-Contemporary-Vanity-Light/1000002924

I've updated two of my drawings to include the new lamp drawing (definitely not proportional so I will have to do measurements and try to scale things better later). I wish I was better with the 3D modeling and that Milkshape was still being supported. I will have to learn how to use Blender or one of the other free 3D modeling programs. I should update the faucet drawing too but I don't feel like doing it just yet.
portfoliovanitylight.pngbathroomplanfancy2a2b.pngbathroomplanfancy2b1c.png

zannej

Reaction score
While waiting for my rotator cuff to heal a bit more I was playing around with Sketchup. Trying to make the vanity and mirror. The mirror turned out OK and the vanity is a work in progress. I'm struggling to get the right shapes/angles for the top. I'm satisfied with the base (I can do a bit more detail on it later (adding depth etc instead of just having it flat with stuff drawn on the surface). I'm not happy with what I have of the top so far. There are so many curves and Sketchup doesn't handle curves well.
mirrorvanitysketchup1.pngmirrorvanitysketchup2.png

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that getting the depth perception is all that important for the room sketch. And not all graphics tools are built with that in mind. You may be able to find stock images that you can import, and perhaps edit the face to look the way you want it to.

zannej

Reaction score
Slownsteady, I tried to find similar sinks in the 3dwarehouse. As far as I know importing just an image won't work. There are no stock photos of the set I have because it was discontinued almost a decade ago. I know it's not critical for the sketch/layout but I'm nitpicky and I want to make it look at least close to the real deal. The circles and lines and such are just drawn on so they give the illusion of depth. I need to re-learn how to use some of the tools to make curves & such just for my own satisfaction.

I'm debating whether or not I should try to get a shattaf for this bathroom or if that would end up creating a leak if my brother forgets to turn it off or something. He doesn't always remember to turn the cooktop off & has ruined a couple of pans. It would help with cleaning (which I'm sure he won't do so I'll probably end up having to do it).

Funny thing on the shattaf... When I was talking to my mother about renovating her bathroom I suggested getting one. She said she didn't need one. Said she wouldn't use it and there was no point. I got one for my bathroom. Later on she saw one for sale and asked me if I wanted it (for my bathroom) but I reminded her I already had one but said she could get it for hers. She said she didn't want it. That was a few years back. Last night I was cleaning the toilet and commenting that it would be easier if we had a shattaf for me to spray the bowl with to rinse. She indignantly said "I wanted to get one but YOU didn't want one!" LOL.

zannej

Reaction score
No screen shots but I've added a little shelf between the door and the shower. I'm going to make a custom tp-holder thing to mount on the vanity when it's finished.
I also added wall switches and outlets.

I've been thinking about how to deal with the gap between the wall and the vanity that I plan to have (so people won't hit their elbows on the wall while washing their hands- and to give a little extra surface for items). I will use some white formica for the top next to and behind the vanity. On the side near the wall, I was going to have one of those pull-out-shelves like the Rev-A-Shelf ones, but they didn't have the right sizes. I wanted to make my own but couldn't find the right drawer slides. Then I saw this video:

Using the speed square to line up the screws was a neat idea. Having something on the wall as a stop was also a good idea.
This would save me from having to make framing on the sides & I wouldn't have to bolt anything to the vanity. I could build a shorter slimmer version & put some good castors on it. I have those tools you press against something to get the shape, lock it down, trace the shape on what you want to cut, and then cut it out with a jigsaw. I can do that around the side of the sink so the front part follows the curve and then the sides should sit flush together. I saw an awesome measuring tape I want that actually has the numbers for the fractions written on it and it does digital measuring with a display screen too. It's on my wishlist.

zannej

Reaction score
I was going to make a shelf between the door and the shower (for the shaving station) but when I went in to look for some other stuff, I found these shelves in the clearance bin. Wood Wall Shelves Set | Hobby Lobby | 657916
They are very soft wood, very rough, have large knots (which I couldn't see bc of the packaging, but that's no big deal to me), and are secured only with staples. The largest one already has a brace coming off because it wasn't stapled securely. But I planned to reinforce them anyway. I'll be using some angle braces.
The medium one should fit in the space. I can find other spots for the large and small ones. Medium one will be getting a 7/8" dowel to use as a towel bar.