Quantcast

Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

Help Support House Repair Talk:

zannej

Reaction score
Question in terms of door structure: Both my exterior and interior doors currently have a single 2x4 as a header (I know I absolutely need to replace that on the exterior load-bearing one). For the interior non-load-bearing wall, can I get away with using a 4x4 header hanger on one side and a jack stud on the other when I move the doorway over 4"? There is a king stud 4" over from where the jack stud currently is.
Simpson Strong-Tie HH Galvanized Header Hanger for 4x Nominal Lumber-HH4 - The Home Depot is the product.

Or, seeing as it isn't load-bearing, could I get away with keeping the existing 2x4 & using some sort of shelf plain L shaped bracket that can support shelves?

Or could I drive some sturdy screws designed for joists in to the header from the side of the king stud (assuming there's enough room for a drill & screwdriver in there).
bdoorwayplan.png

zannej

Reaction score
Got the Moen Engage 5.5" 2.5gpm handheld showerhead and the guest bathroom since my brother just wants a handheld and doesn't care about a fixed showerhead. The one with the fixed showerhead plus handheld is going in my bathroom. Got the Multi-Choice valve for Pex crimp fitting. I will be picking up some 3/4" conduit elbows (which are less than $1 each) so I won't have to get expensive elbow fittings. My friend used conduit for his valve.
Got the Delta Lahara trim again (gave 1st one to my friend to use in his shower-- we get to take showers at his house whenever we want until we get our stuff fixed). Still need a 2nd shower arm and another shower trim for guest bathroom.

Meanwhile, I have picked out the faucet for the guest bathroom. I'd been looking at Moen ones but they were expensive & not the right style. Closest was the one my Mom got on clearance for her bathroom, but I decided that since we're getting a Delta trim we can get a Delta faucet. Found the Delta Porter faucet on e-bay (open box) for $54 w/ "fast & free" shipping & free returns w/in 30 days. Alternative is to buy new for $69 at HD. It has a nice high arc and longer reach than the Moen ones.
s-l640 (2).jpgs-l640.jpg

zannej

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure why I thought I got a 2-light vanity lamp. We apparently got a 3-light one on clearance. The display model looked better than the online pictures. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Portfolio-3-Light-Chrome-Modern-Contemporary-Vanity-Light/1000002924

I've updated two of my drawings to include the new lamp drawing (definitely not proportional so I will have to do measurements and try to scale things better later). I wish I was better with the 3D modeling and that Milkshape was still being supported. I will have to learn how to use Blender or one of the other free 3D modeling programs. I should update the faucet drawing too but I don't feel like doing it just yet.
portfoliovanitylight.pngbathroomplanfancy2a2b.pngbathroomplanfancy2b1c.png

Latest posts