Indoor wire direct buried

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdockery_3

Reaction score
I have discovered that the previous owner of my house direct buried indoor wire going to an outside garage. I know it's not code but my question is should I rip it up and redo it or is it worth doing that? I guess what I'm wanting to know is it a hazard or is it just prone to failing?

If it does fail, it will be the very worst time you could imagine, I would lean toward fixing it.

What is the size of the cable?
How deep is it buried?
Is it encased where it enters and exits the soil?

Are you sure it is indeed indoor wire. Type UF cable is listed to be buried in the earth. It looks similar to Romex but the insulation is thicker and rated for burial. If it is indoor wire it should definitely be disconnected immediately. I would recommend cutting the wire flush to wear it enters both structures, so the wire can't be connected again.

If the path of the current wire is the easiest route to the garage and you need power out there, then you might as well dig up the old wire to run new.

To determine if it is indoor/outdoor wire, look on the outside jacket of the cable. If it says Type NM-B it is nonmetallic sheathed cable rated for dry locations (Romex). If it says Type UF it is underground feeder cable and rated to be buried.

Depending on where you live (because codes vary) you should see UF at 18" - 24" underground. We always use a GFCI which some codes allow you to go as shallow as 18" ... NEVER use ROMEX as an underground feeder. If you determine it is ROMEX, disconnect it until you can replace it.

Sketchy and electrical should not be in the same sentence. Ever.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RCMr4omM8[/ame]

It is NM-B. The previous owner built the garage about 12 years ago. I'm surprised that it has lasted this long without a problem.

For running power to a detached location, I'm always a big fan of running PVC so if a wire fails, you can simply pull a new one without trenching again. Upsizing the PVC isn't a bad idea either in case you want to add something in the future.

I'm surprised that Romex has lasted this long also. It will fail, it's only a matter of time. But the safest thing to do now is to disconnect it until it can be replaced.

And, if left undisturbed, will more than likely last again as long.

However, you'd be well served to replace it with direct burial or conductors encased in elec. PVC.

Back