Inside paint advice needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverGuy

Reaction score
I will be painting a second floor - the walls and the ceiling. It's around 1000 square feet. The walls are light green and will be switched to white. A few questions:
- Should I go with a matte sheen?
- If I use Behr Premium Plus, which contains primer, can I get by with one coat?
- Can I use it on the ceiling?
- Should 5 gallons get it done?
- Also, there is a Jack and Jill bathroom and a large open bathroom. Can I use the same sheen on those two rooms?
Thanks.

Paint.jpg

Attachments

• 20240331_091228.jpg
    20240331_091228.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Welcome.
The higher the pint sheen is, the more durable, moisture resistant and easy to maintain, so, were it I, and it isn't, I would not use matte finish in any restroom, and likely not in a kitchen.
The lower the sheen, the more of a dirt magnet, a paint is.
I not in favor of comb. paint/primers, so, again, were it I, and it isn't, I would have a primer tinted, just off your finish color, so you can see where
you've been, and where you need to go.

You could go matte sheen, but I think most people go for a bit more sheen, like eggshell. For the walls.
Flat for ceiling. Often you can find "ceiling paint" which is white, low sheen, and typically less expensive because it doesn't need to be scrubbable.
Trim, like baseboard and casing is typically semi-gloss.

No, you can't get by with one coat, with any paint.

Yes, you can use it on ceiling. I would want my walls and ceiling different colors, but it's your house and only what looks good to you matters.

Google the manufacturer's specs on the paint. It will tell you how many square feet of coverage per gallon. Usually about 200 to 400 sq feet. Take some measurements and do the math.

Bathrooms I would go with more sheen, but if you want, you can use it. Often, you can find "kitchen and bath paint", which is formulated to resist mildew growth.

Myself, I only use Benjamin Moore.

I myself have never used Benjamin Moore, but would love to try it, if I could even locate the paint. Are they a stand alone business?
For me, Dunn Edward's is my "go -to" paint.

I myself have never used Benjamin Moore, but would love to try it, if I could even locate the paint. Are they a stand alone business?
For me, Dunn Edward's is my "go -to" paint.
There are several in both LA & OC.

In the late 70'S and early 80'S, when BM was expanding into S, CA I arranged for a discounted supply for the CDBG program in LYNWOOD, which was politically overruled.

Ironically, I BBQ'ed last night for 2 CBDG members in our community last night. That was much of the discussion thru the night.

So, what is CBDG?

CDBG is COMMUNITY DEVELOPED BLOCK GRANT, and it's a federal funded low interest loan program.

Actually, in California, it replaced the old Redevelopment Funds. This is an annual grant applied for by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). This CDBG, is an appointed committee which determines the entity and the amount of money distributed. The primary issue with this distribution is that can no longer be distributed "Willy-nilly" and prefers to distribute into non-profits and other organizations including homeless outreach, food banks and other needy organizations. BTW, this is not a loan, it is free money, and provided you show just cause and a need, the money is yours.

At the time, these programs were individually adopted by each municipality, and there-in administered and distributed to subscribed programs, but the overseeing admin. was in an LA COUNTY branch of the federal housing admin.

At the time there were 2 city admin. programs, grants, for housing improvement of $5K, and graffiti removal. As the program evolved, the housing expanded to loans of $15K, while the grants were still limited to $5K.

I was involved in programs at two adjacent municipality's, as a grant/loan writer and in saving and recertification of a suspended program.

Because of my building trade experience, I was also a temporary building official/plan checker and permit writer, while a replacement was sought.

4/10 work days didn't pay overtime, for the 5th day.

As is Snoonyb, I'm not keen on paint & primer in one.
A Behr company paint chemist (not a Home Depot floor guy) told me that their Paint & Primer is only intended to "help" cover colors. He said to still expect to put 2 coats of finish paint for full hide and even sheen.

I use & absolutely enjoy PPG Seal Grip Gripper primer. (There are a few Seal Grip versions. I'm referring to Seal Grip Gripper.)
It will lock the existing color away and provide an excellent surface for the top coat. It grips like mad- even on glass or ceramic tile- also chalk. It seals drywall quite evenly, too.

You may still see the original color paint under it, but the color won't show through one coat of good top coat paint. The reason that the color shows under primer is because they don't use a lot of pigment. They focus on binding & sealing. (Kind of like if you primed with clear plastic. You will see the old, under color, but it's on lock-down.)

The VOC content of Seal Grip Gripper is excellent. There's virtually no aroma. (Cotton candy is the faint smell of it.)

I used one coat of it on black paint. Then one caot of PPG's lowest prices interior satin. After priming, I could sort of see the black, but the white Acri Shield Max covered it in one coat. I also covered roof tar that was on a fascia. Same results.

The PPG paints are lowest price at a PPG store if one is near you. (The primer is about half of Home Depot's price.)

Which paint is best is totally a subjective thing. Everyone has their favorite. The above is just what I've learned over decades of frustrations & successes.

About ceiling painting:
I like specific ceiling paints. Ceilings are where imperfections in plaster work show prominently. Ceiling paint is very, very flat.

If you use a quality 100% acrylic solids paint with high volume solids percentage & weight you can still scrub this very flat paint. (Kitchen is the only ceiling I've ever scrubbed. Bad cook, I am!)

Pau;

Latest posts

Back