Inside Wall Stack Missing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello,

Amongst the damaged walls that I am trying to repair and refinish there are pieces of havac ductwork/stack that seemed to having been ripped off a long time ago. The following pics depicts a missing hvac stack that should be inside this wall:

25280870120_990482e73d_c.jpg

I got some half section rectangular hvac parts (which seems to be press fitting) like the following (which seems to fit):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-25-in-...Rectangular-Stack-Duct-RD3-25X10X36/100139237

but was wondering about the best approach (could not find my relevant and specific information). The stack sections seems to simply snap together by a press fitting thing, but maybe some sealant should be used as well? Once the stack is assembled in one piece, would sheet metal screw suffice to connect it to the top (angle boot) and the future rectangular stack head?

Thks!

I am not an hvac guy but, if that chase is for return air, no duct is needed. The studs and drywall/plaster act as the duct and, in the basement ceiling, a joist bay

I am not an hvac guy but, if that chase is for return air, no duct is needed. The studs and drywall/plaster act as the duct and, in the basement ceiling, a joist bay
(hit send by accident) a joist bay likely has sheet metal across it which dumps air into the return duct.

Yeah, I got the idea. But it seems to me that this is actually part of the air delivery system (not the air return). So, assuming it is the air delivery system... How it should be approached?

thks

My point being that if there are supply vents in the ceilings of the rooms then the wall cavity is for the return air and doesn't need metal ducting. The cavity alone is the plenum and a grill in the wall above the floor is the opening.

My point being that if there are supply vents in the ceilings of the rooms then the wall cavity is for the return air and doesn't need metal ducting. The cavity alone is the plenum and a grill in the wall above the floor is the opening.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about.;)

Hello,

Amongst the damaged walls that I am trying to repair and refinish there are pieces of havac ductwork/stack that seemed to having been ripped off a long time ago. The following pics depicts a missing hvac stack that should be inside this wall:

25280870120_990482e73d_c.jpg

I got some half section rectangular hvac parts (which seems to be press fitting) like the following (which seems to fit):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-25-in-...Rectangular-Stack-Duct-RD3-25X10X36/100139237

but was wondering about the best approach (could not find my relevant and specific information). The stack sections seems to simply snap together by a press fitting thing, but maybe some sealant should be used as well? Once the stack is assembled in one piece, would sheet metal screw suffice to connect it to the top (angle boot) and the future rectangular stack head?

Thks!

Turn the system on, if it blows it's supply, if it sucks it's return.

Return exists near the floor and can use the stud bay as the duct.

There are supply boots at HD to fit you needs, and dump in or near the ceiling.

Turn the system on, if it blows it's supply, if it sucks it's return.

Return exists near the floor and can use the stud bay as the duct.

There are supply boots at HD to fit you needs, and dump in or near the ceiling.

The register is near the floor which also indicates that it is a force air duct since vent ducts normally would be atop. The duct going through the crawlspace really seems to be for venting since all the plenums on the two non-functional furnaces are going up to the attic (upflow). Moreover, there are other rooms which have that same type of stack connected to a register at the bottom near the floor.

Unfortunately, I can not do turn the furnaces on right now to the test.

TK is probably right about the duct being removed; why would anybody rip up the wall so thoroughly if not to remove something big? So maybe someone here should try to answer his original question.

Stick you hand up there if the was a duct up there you will find a hole cut in sheet metal to take a boot, just measure the opening and by a boot to match.

Stick you hand up there if the was a duct up there you will find a hole cut in sheet metal to take a boot, just measure the opening and by a boot to match.

There is a rounded boot up there that transition from to a rectangular stack (missing) that then goes down to provide air flow down there by registers. Below is is pic taken of the top:

25601290003_84756b9886_c.jpg

Below is some remaining of a metal support attached to the wall sole plate.

25601290033_656afc8b57_c.jpg

which seems to indicate the presence of a stack there.

I am not not all that familiar with these ducts and how they changed other time. Not sure how old it is and what the spcecs. It seems that it is 10inches size. Most of the new stuff are press fitting (parts often snaps in). To connect the new stack to the upper boot there is also no much clearance there: it should fit without any sealant or anything else?

Also, it seems that this stack would provide air flow for two rooms, so at the bottom it must split into two for two registers.

thks

I would not like two rooms fed like that as a fire in one room will have instant access to the next.
There is a guy near where you live that makes this stuff, I would take all this info to that guy and have him come up with the best solution. You just have to find him. He is the guy that makes it for the furnace installers.
I would also dig it out in the attic to see what exactly you have there and get measurements.
I would want two oval ducts with two offset boots for the registers.

I would not like two rooms fed like that as a fire in one room will have instant access to the next.
There is a guy near where you live that makes this stuff, I would take all this info to that guy and have him come up with the best solution. You just have to find him. He is the guy that makes it for the furnace installers.
I would also dig it out in the attic to see what exactly you have there and get measurements.
I would want two oval ducts with two offset boots for the registers.

The boot above has cleats in two sides. It seems that it would fit a 12 stack.

So, I can not simply buy this thing in store but have to make some type of special order or pay someone to do it.

I will look into the attic, there is just so much insulation there.

thks

The last thing you want is an air leak from the house or duct into the attic, You would have to start with a starter piece so you could do it from below and find some way to seal it. Never say never but just finding something off the shelf that fits will be hard.
This will show you some of what you will be up against.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLVAsSJFZac&ebc=ANyPxKqIrGt4EEKxMFTIRhkFwZadCp1v-FJh9iuvIjx5QpvPDspm50Xge46pO91I3ddiPk8vCJ2gFh81pS5y9t6c1wzD4bnlig&nohtml5=False[/ame]

Back