Installing closet in existing room?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by TerryDM, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1

TerryDM

TerryDM

TerryDM

Have any of you ever done this? I finished off a portion of our basement into a playroom for our kids. Now as they're getting older we're making it into a bedroom for one of the girls. We got an egress window put in and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't put in a closet. Thing is, I've never added a closet to an existing room before.
    I've got ideas but I don't want it to look like a "box" was added to a corner of the room. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

*edit* Forgot to add, since it's a basement, it's got a drop ceiling.

2. Sep 19, 2012 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Are other parts of the basement unfinnished where you could build a closet with just a door from this room? If not, a discription of where the window and door are in the room and the size of the room and window size would be useful.

3. Sep 26, 2012 #3

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

Hey Terry . . . Sketch out the room layout and dimensions. Scan it or take a pic and post it back. That would really help. Make sure you indicate window and door locations.

Get back to us, y'hear!

4. Sep 29, 2012 #4

TerryDM

TerryDM

TerryDM

Sorry guys. Been busy and haven't had a chance yet. I'll get a pic on here soon. Thanks!

5. Oct 17, 2012 #5

woodchuck

woodchuck

woodchuck

So it doesn't stand alone and look like a box make it the full length or width of the wall or put it on the wall with the entrance door and you'll have a sort of foyer entrance way. You can't make a closet too large.
    or
    Center it on a wall with room on each side for beds or furniture.

6. Oct 25, 2012 #6

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Wuzzat?

Well-Known Member Sponsor

If you want 120v lighting in the closet the NEC has many caveats.

7. Oct 26, 2012 #7

TerryDM

TerryDM

TerryDM

So sorry I've been dealing with some issues and haven't had a chance to work on the room. This weekend that changes. I've got some pictures. They start at the new egress and work their way around the room. You'll see a small indentation to the right of the window where I would have thought would be a good place for the closet but it's not very deep (about 1.5') and not very wide. Let the suggestions roll in. Another few sets of eyes will greatly help! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The more I thought about putting the closet in that space to the right of the window the more I didn't like it. I think it would look too weird right up next to the window like that.

8. Oct 26, 2012 #8

TerryDM

TerryDM

TerryDM

Apparently I can only add 4 pics at a time. Sorry. Here's the last pic:

[​IMG]

9. Oct 26, 2012 #9

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

I would look at a walk in closet to include the post on you left as you enter the door. As you other door is a slab door a short door for the closet won't look so bad.

TerryDM likes this.
  10. Oct 26, 2012 #10

TerryDM

TerryDM

TerryDM

Alright.... that's an idea. I hadn't even considered something like that. That's why I come around here. Ideas that I would never think of. Thanks Neal.

11. Oct 26, 2012 #11

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

When ever possible, work a post into wall, as the area around it is useless anyway.
    I'm sure others will see thing differently, good luck.

12. Oct 26, 2012 #12

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

And just to keep some room available , you could use 3/4 inch finished or AC plywood for the outside walls.Keeps the walls thinner, no sheetrocking to do,and looks fine. Kind of like a piece of furnture is when it is built. Put in a few 2x4's on the inside where you need them and paint them the same color.
    It's only a basement closet,:D hope this helps.