Installing outdoor lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrDenk

Reaction score
Need some guidance... the plan is to install new light fixtures on each side of the garage.

First, figure out how to cut the .5in cedar board to fit in with the diagonal siding. Should I just cut in a rectangle shape, or match the bevels so it lines up, top and bottom, across two full courses?

Then, I have to deal with a wall stud right where the jbox needs to go. The plan so far is to cut the siding and expose the sheathing, then mount a .5in pancake box directly to the stud, on top of the sheathing, drill a hole off the side of the stud to pass the romex. Does that track?

I'll pull power from a flood light higher up the outside wall, drop down through the attic/ceiling, hit a jbox, then run conduit to either side of the garage, terminating at another jbox, before heading through the outside wall to the light fixture.

20220219_084622.jpg
20220219_095220.jpg

Could you just mount and exterior box on the outside and not cut the siding? I'd be concerned about making the cut weather proof.

I also would try and do it without cutting the siding. I might even make a base out of pressure treated wood and place the J-box on the inside and just drill a hole for the romex. The base could even be step cut to match the siding and stained to match.

I guess it would depend on how the lights base was made if it could be considered a J-box. then you wouldn’t need a J-box inside.

Back