Installing pre-hung doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffithhouse

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this site. We just purchased our first home and there is an office/den that currently has bi-fold doors with a vertical column of glass blocks on both sides. I found a set of pre-hung french doors at my local Lowes and want to install them. The rep there told me that I have to make sure the frame of the pre-hung doors is going to be drilled into a beam or 2x4 and not drywall. I have pictures of what it presently looks like but not sure if we'd be causing ourselves more headache by trying to install them. I do not want to pay for someone to come in to install. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

den doors1.jpg

den doors2.jpg

new french doors.jpg

The rough opening for a framed door is 1 1/2 " higher and 3/4" wider than a by-fold. Likely the frame will not fit so you will need to reframe the hole or order doors made to fit the hole.

All that trim and the jambs would need to be removed to install that new door.
It's not mounted to the wood that's there now, it's attached to the rough framing, then retrimed to cover it all up.
For a rough measurement to see if the new door would fit you would just measure the inside side to side of the opening and add 1-1/2, measure from the floor to the top and add 3/4".

Back