Insulating a shed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I kind of looked into heaters a bit and a propane or gas heater does seem kind of impractical to use and I don't have many low cost options. I started looking into electric space heaters but the amount of different kinds got overwhelming pretty quick. So I was wondering if you guys can help me to understand some of the differences and why one would be better than the others. Also I would want to know what I should do insulation wise with that particular heater. Oh and just to make everything worse i forgot to mention my shed has no sheathing on it, it just has clapboard siding.

Last edited:
Ahh, the plot thickens.
Couple of thoughts:
*You have to consider the ramp-up time for your heat source. If you are not heating overnite, it is going to be chilly in there for a good while in the morning when you turn on the heat. Can you put it on a timer, or have a remote start?
*If you are running electric heat on an extension cord, what else will you be able to run....power tools?
*Can you see daylight through the siding? If so, those are all draft points, even the very thin slits between the boards. Another reason to add interior walls, if that is possible.
*Burning propane or gas generally requires exhaust venting. Be careful about manufacturers claims. The small print could be fatal.
*Depending on what you are doing, a ceramic heater right at your feet can be effective.

Ahh, the plot thickens.
Couple of thoughts:
*You have to consider the ramp-up time for your heat source. If you are not heating overnite, it is going to be chilly in there for a good while in the morning when you turn on the heat. Can you put it on a timer, or have a remote start?
*If you are running electric heat on an extension cord, what else will you be able to run....power tools?
*Can you see daylight through the siding? If so, those are all draft points, even the very thin slits between the boards. Another reason to add interior walls, if that is possible.
*Burning propane or gas generally requires exhaust venting. Be careful about manufacturers claims. The small print could be fatal.
*Depending on what you are doing, a ceramic heater right at your feet can be effective.

1. I can easily get a timer or a remote start on it with no issues as long as the timer can support the electrical needs of the heater.

2. I could always run two electrical cords from a double exterior surge protected outlet as long as that wouldn't be an issue.

3. In some spots you can see daylight through the siding. Interior walls is an option but that's loosing out on valuable space but if that's the only solution to stopping the drafts then I'm all in. Also I'm concerned about rats mice or chipmunks getting into the wall cavities from outside.

4. Ya I was looking at the ventilation issues with the gas and propane also, that's why I'm leaning away from using those types.

5. Well I would like mainly my hands and tools to be warm but then again my shed is so small i think I'm going to end up switching positions a lot therefore I kinda want the whole space to be warm if possible.

Last edited:
If they can get into the wall cavities, they can get into the shed. And if it's warm, you should have plenty of visitors. ;)

Good point. So i defiantly should put in draft barriers but I'm still wondering what heater I should use cus there are so many out there and if I should use any insulation or not.

Insulate, IMO. It will reduce the drafts and cut heat loss. Only you can decide the cost/benefit ratio cuz it's your comfort at stake. I don't know what heater to suggest.

Insulate, IMO. It will reduce the drafts and cut heat loss. Only you can decide the cost/benefit ratio cuz it's your comfort at stake. I don't know what heater to suggest.

I think I may just insulate with a foam board insulation, that should keep the drafts out while adding to the insulation value and not be too expensive. But i still need to figure out the heating system if anyone can help me out.

Go with electric and keep track of your time with it on and give mom and dad 50 cents per hour of usage if you want to buy your own heat. They make foam board with a silver backing and if you get that and cover the walls it will help keeping the heat in and also make it much brighter. When it comes to electric heat watts are watts. If you get a 1000 watt heater it’s the same as (10) 100 watt light bulbs. The 10 bulbs would be great in the winter for light and heat but will cook you in the summer. The little cheap block heaters work good they sell them everyplace. Try one and see how it does maybe get 2 if you need to.

Unvented heaters when you read the fine print say not to use more than X amount per day and suggest having some air movement and a certain size room etc.

Go with electric and keep track of your time with it on and give mom and dad 50 cents per hour of usage if you want to buy your own heat. They make foam board with a silver backing and if you get that and cover the walls it will help keeping the heat in and also make it much brighter. When it comes to electric heat watts are watts. If you get a 1000 watt heater it’s the same as (10) 100 watt light bulbs. The 10 bulbs would be great in the winter for light and heat but will cook you in the summer. The little cheap block heaters work good they sell them everyplace. Try one and see how it does maybe get 2 if you need to.

Unvented heaters when you read the fine print say not to use more than X amount per day and suggest having some air movement and a certain size room etc.

Ya that seems good but was also a little concerned with a fire hazard of having saw dust in the fan powered heating units. I did see like old radiator style heaters that work by heating up oil in the pipes, I'm not sure how good they work though.

That will take some serious wiring. I thing I would be looking for a used heater out of a camper or travel trailer

Ya but would a used heater out of a camper or travel trailer work to heat the shed during a harsh New England winter

You would have the checkthe BTU and figure what you require for the size of the shed and how well you insulate it.

I think I may need a little lesson on the entire heating thing. Like why do most electric heaters give 5,000 BTUs and all cost different prices ranging from 20 to 200 dollars. Is it just a style thing? Does it have to do with the way it gives off that heat? Would 5,000 btu suffice for my shed I'm thinking i would need more.

The reason I don't want electric heating is the cost and the fact that the shed is powered by one electrical cord from the house.
I could always run two electrical cords from a double exterior surge protected outlet as long as that wouldn't be an issue.
One cord or two doesn't matter if they're plugged into the same circuit. Surge protection won't help keep the breaker from tripping.

I like the radiator style heaters, but they take a while to heat up. OTOH, they hold heat for a while when turned off. Price of heaters can depend on things like quality of construction, safety features, how quick they deliver heat, etc. And of course, the amount of heat they deliver.

Maybe you should think of this like a hunting shack. Any hunters out there might have a suggestion.

Last edited:
If you're not going to run electric out there then you could just go with a ventless propane heater that they use in campers and RVs. Something like this with the hose for a larger portable tank.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G51BZU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Maybe you should think of this like a hunting shack. Any hunters out there might have a suggestion.

The ones they use for hunting is propane powered and i was trying to stay away from propane for the air safety reasons inside an enclosed shed.

I'm also having trouble finding an electric heater that runs more than 5000 BTUs and doesn't need a 20 amp outlet. Do these types of electric heaters even exist? How hard would it be to get a 20amp outlet to the shed

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever you go out to your shed, it's going to be the same temp inside as outside, unless you leave the heater on. Even if you insulate the shed. An infrared quartz heater is going warm you and not the air and will do it much quicker.
I had a 12x16 shed, uninsulated and with a ridge vent and used a small 1500 watt unit to heat it when I worked out there. I also lived in MA, on the coast.
You have a small space and it doesn't take a lot to heat it, especially if you're working.

Whenever you go out to your shed, it's going to be the same temp inside as outside, unless you leave the heater on. Even if you insulate the shed. An infrared quartz heater is going warm you and not the air and will do it much quicker.
I had a 12x16 shed, uninsulated and with a ridge vent and used a small 1500 watt unit to heat it when I worked out there. I also lived in MA, on the coast.
You have a small space and it doesn't take a lot to heat it, especially if you're working.

So something like this your saying would work?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1444493730.618862.jpg
Would you suggest any insulation anyways or maybe just a draft barrier?

The short answer is...I don't know. The long answer is....I don't know but, if it was me, I would get a 1500 watt IR heater and start with that. If it gets too cold you can try other options.

Back