INSURANCE IS GETTING ME A NEW ROOF....NOW WHAT

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The insurance wasn't to keen on replacing all the OSB, which the roofer threw in quote. I talked to the roofer last night and he said he could requote me without OSB, and replace 1" x boards as needed to get closer to what insurance was looking for.

That's definitely an option, but.... 1x decking the age of your house will be dry and sometimes brittle. Old dimensional lumber will shrink with age and leave gaps between the boards, some times these gaps will correspond with the shingle nail line. If this occurs, nail "pops" will develop. Just be aware, there's cause and effect to any decision. New decking, more cost but better substrate. No new decking, less cost but less stable decking that can limit the life cycle of your roof system.

Great....just great
So they're on the roof now pulled everything off, and cheap !@#$%^&*( did the roof last decided that wood paneling would be a suitable substitute for OSB.

The roofer was pretty perplexed too. he said that he never seen anything before. Thank God that nothing happened to the joists or anything else

Latest posts

Back