Is it hard to finish this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamecock

Reaction score
Im a very amateur diy’er. After having some repairs done, id like to finish out my basement and save some $$$. Just curious how difficult for a diy’er it would be to put the fixtures in the basement bathroom in pic. I think it is roughed in with pipes any online tutorials?Would i need to drywall my basement walls before installing the fixture ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhXAEYY2QdTWkGfU9

Everyone has to start somewhere. www.hometime.com has some decent videos on a variety of home improvement projects including plumbing and finishing basements. Unless you want to sit on the throne fully exposed I'd recommend installing drywall in your basement bathroom before you install the fixtures. You'll also need electrical wiring and boxes installed for lights, switches, and outlets before closing up the walls. You will very likely need permits for this project and you may not be able to do all the work yourself under a permit. Inspections are there to protect your home from mistakes that could cause big problems down the road. Also when it comes time to sell you want to show that the work was permitted.

I'd suggest doing some volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity, Rebuilding Together, Appalachia Service Project, etc before tackling this project to get some experience under the guidance of experienced volunteers.

Hey thanks so much for the reply. Luckily the space is already wired for electric and outlets are included. I basically just need drywall and bathroom fixtures and from the sound of it id better hire someone to install those bathroom fixtures lol

So before you start, you want to double check that everything you are covering is right.
pictures and measurements of what you have for electrical and post that in electrical for opinions
Same for plumbing and ask in plumbing.
We can see the door is framed but is it 2" wider than the desired door you want and is it 82+ inches high,
There is nothing worse than finding a major change that should have been tackled earlier.

Back