Is this a drain pipe or water pipe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingd18

Reaction score
I recently moved into a home where the basement bathroom has a toilet but no sink sink installed. I am wondering if the sealed pipe to the right of the toilet is a drain pipe or a water pipe, or both? Would a qualified plumber be able to easily install a sink here without it being too costly of a job?

Please excuse my ignorance and thank you in advance for any info!

Attachments

• 59834de1-4d68-4e3e-8efb-3d432962e92e.jpg
    59834de1-4d68-4e3e-8efb-3d432962e92e.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 980888b9-04b8-4628-8ac3-78109fa278a3.jpg
    980888b9-04b8-4628-8ac3-78109fa278a3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
My guess by the size and location a capped off drain pipe. How does the basement toilet flush? is it uphill to the outtake with a lift station someplace or are you on high ground in relation to the sewer or septic line?

If it is a drain line you would just need to tie into the hot and cold supply lines and run them to the sink location.

My guess by the size and location a capped off drain pipe. How does the basement toilet flush? is it uphill to the outtake with a lift station someplace or are you on high ground in relation to the sewer or septic line?

If it is a drain line you would just need to tie into the hot and cold supply lines and run them to the sink location.
Hey @bud16415, thank you for your insights!

We have sewer and it's in a pretty densely populated area. I'm not sure if we are on high ground in relation to the sewer -- any suggestions on how to determine this? Our basement is fairly shallow and I we are fairly high in terms of elevation, compared to other houses further down our block (we are on a gradual hill/incline).

I'm including a video showing a water line that goes to the toilet as well as some other pipes/water lines. Just outside the bathroom you can see how we have a washing machine and laundry sink. Curious to get your thoughts on if this helps paint the picture any clearer, and if you have any guess as to a ballpark estimate for how much it would cost to put a sink right in the bathroom itself. I would think that this would be an easy job since water lines seem very close to this bathroom, but am grateful for your thoughts/opinions.

Thank you again - really appreciate your time!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-08-10 at 9.53.30 PM.mp4
    16 MB
It wouldn't be too hard. check at the builder center and find a sink and base cabinet you like. you can tee into the hot/cold PEX tubing at the washer and run PEX across the ceiling and down and thru the bathroom wall. the drain stuff is also pretty simple and is all made out of plastic these days.

As to cost if you DIY i would think could be done for as little as 500 bucks.

Given the proximity of the cap, there may have been a stall shower anticipated, so measure the pipe, with the cap removed, to insure the correct fittings.

Here are some examples of venting you need to address;
plumbing venting diagram

Back