Is this a good quote for windows?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Onion69420

Reaction score
19,800 for full replacement windows.

That is 2 picture windows with 2 sliders on each window, 1 is 154" long the other is 120".
4 double hung windows.
1 garden/plant window about 4'x3'
1 octagon window about 18"
2 sliding windows
2 windows that open from the bottom up(the kind that u prop open) they are about 30" long by 18" tall.
These are vynyl windows.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
1st of all, any bedroom that DOES NOT have two forms of egress requires a window, with 5.7sq.ft. opening area, and any competent installer knows this.

kok328

Reaction score
I don't know, what do the other 2 quotes say?

kok328

Reaction score
1st of all, any bedroom that DOES NOT have two forms of egress requires a window, with 5.7sq.ft. opening area, and any competent installer knows this.
I don't see where anyone has mentioned anything about bedroom windows but, thanks for the info.
P.S.- I've met plenty of competent window installers in my days and I would bet a small percentage would know proper window sizing and/or egress codes but, they can install one hell of a window. They install the windows that were requested by the owner or sold by the salesperson; as far as being legal for the application, that's not their business.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
No, there was no mention of the area/s the windows would serve.

However, how enlightening information can be.

I know, there are some folks, both buyer and seller, who could care less, if you could escape a fire, or someone could gain entry, and save you, or a young child.

I'm not one of them.

And, so, when the egress is called out by a presale inspector, with the stipulation, that it does not meet the intent and purpose of the building code?

For me, the seller makes the change, or I move on.

And if the architecture doesn't match, they change all on that side of the structure.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As said, get a couple more quotes. We have no idea where your located, what access there is for installation, are they installing in brick wall or vinyl siding, double pane/triple pane? Could be a great price could be bad, but get comparable quotes and see.

Bob Reynolds

Reaction score
Based on the limited amount of information you have provided you are at over $1400 a window, it seems high; but we don't know. Maybe you have some unusual windows. Replacement windows generally cost less than half of that number.

Count how many windows (count large window sections as multiple windows) they are replacing and divide it by the total amount.

For a purchase such as this you will want to get at least 3 quotes as others have stated.

Steve123

Reaction score
Seems like your only concern is price.

Could be that they picked up on that and are quoting you the cheapest windows they can get.

In Michigan, I would have figured that you would be concerned with performance. This is a big investment. You should really educate yourself on window performance, not just "the guy on the internet forum says this was a good deal". There is TONS of information on the internet. If the guy says they are good because they are double pane, that is pretty much meaningless. I am not sure if you can even buy single pane windows anymore.

Onion69420

Reaction score
Hi
I dont see what relevance it is to tall about egress from a bedroom? Yes some are bedroom windows, there is 1 window in each room plus the door.
I'll clarify a little.
The house was made 1945 and has what I believe are the original single pane windows. They are drafty, some dont open at all or need to be pried open and pounded with a rubber mallet to shut, and 1 is boarded up cuz my 3 year hit it with a toy and it broke. The windows aren't safe in that regardz they are very fragile.
The house has brick veneer

Onion69420

Reaction score
On a side note this has become a very frustrating process, specifically dealing with salesmen. The last guy that gave me an estimate was at my house for almost 4 hours trying to convince me to buy his product "right now" by the time he left it was almost 10pm and only then when I got up and literally had to turn the lights off and hold the door open.
He started very high and by the end of the night had taken 5000 off his price. He had trashed other companies, and stuck a contract and a pen in front of me after I had already told him several times I wasnt making any decisions. Now hes called several times and dropped his price even more. During his 4 hour sales pitch he wouldnt take no for an answer and mustve said "no pressure" at least 15 times during which he was clearly pressuring me. I almost felt like a woman on a date being pressured for sex.
I have 3 more estimates lined up and I am going to tell them from the get go that I want his lowest price first and I am not negotiating or haggling and that "dont call me, I'll call you"

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
On a side note this has become a very frustrating process, specifically dealing with salesmen. The last guy that gave me an estimate was at my house for almost 4 hours trying to convince me to buy his product "right now" by the time he left it was almost 10pm and only then when I got up and literally had to turn the lights off and hold the door open.
He started very high and by the end of the night had taken 5000 off his price. He had trashed other companies, and stuck a contract and a pen in front of me after I had already told him several times I wasnt making any decisions. Now hes called several times and dropped his price even more. During his 4 hour sales pitch he wouldnt take no for an answer and mustve said "no pressure" at least 15 times during which he was clearly pressuring me. I almost felt like a woman on a date being pressured for sex.
I have 3 more estimates lined up and I am going to tell them from the get go that I want his lowest price first and I am not negotiating or haggling and that "dont call me, I'll call you"
Tell them they have 30 minutes, after 30 minutes show them the door...just my 2 cents.

Onion69420

Reaction score
So I finally decided on wallside. I really only wanted 4 windows done, the large picture window and 3 double hung. The previous quotes I had ranged from 7500-4200.
The wallside guy quoted me 3500 so i went with him. The picture window he is gonna install will be a 50/25/25 with sliding windows on either side so I'm pretty thrilled about that.
I had hansoms come out and he quoted me 4200 after haggling and pulling the "let me call my boss" move a couple times. During one of these times he made it a point to make his call outside and conspicuously crossed the room to put his tablet in front of me on the coffee table. I suspect he was eavesdropping on my conversation with my girlfriend. He could have just as easily left it on the kitchen table or taken it with him but he placed it about a foot from where I sat on the couch. Maybe I'm just paranoid but after all the shenanigans I've put up with from these guys I wouldnt be surprised. He came in and countered with 4000 RIGHT NOW or the deal is off. I sent him packing.