Is this a reasonable price?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydemanhattan

Reaction score
I recently had a contractor put up a closet with an opening that measured 36". I didn't like the setup because I wanted a wider opening of at least 48" to have access to a partitioned closet. I decided a bypass closet double sliding door would work better than a single door. He told me that he would have to remove the studs and the sheet rock and all the work, which would be two days labor ( 2 days labor seems much for that job) and estimated $800 to make adjustments. It's that a fair price?

Welcome.
How did the initial conversation go so wrong?

Do the demo yourself and post photos and we can direct you.

When you hired him what was the agreement and was it in writing. I assume it is all finished and he bought materials as in the door that will no longer be used has it trimmed out and walls painted and was done in his mind.

Was it his fault the misunderstanding or after the fact did you have the other door idea.

It is hard to know if the changeover for 800 is reasonable as we don’t know all the costs and the prevailing wage where you live. Jobs are not just the time spent doing it is also breaking into his next project travel and more.

Bypass doors will only allow for a 2’ opening on one side or the other. Will that be better than one 3’ opening?

And welcome to the forum.

Put up a closet, what does that mean?
Was there nothing there and he had to build the whole thing from scratch?
Want an opening that big then why not two 24" bifold doors?
Price include hanging the new sheetrock, finishing, priming and painting, and trim?

Latest posts

Back