Is this normal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thull04

Reaction score
We recently moved into a new (to us) home and my wife has a list of projects she would like me to do to make the home "ours". One of them being to extend the corner gas fireplace up to the ceiling. As I was taking measurements I noticed there is a large 1/2 inch gap where the fireplace has pulled off of the wall. We had repainted the walls in late fall and the gap was maybe 1/16 inch or so. Both wall are exterior walls so I was wondering if this is likely due to the cold winter and if it will shrink back as it warms up? I am hesitant to add the extension in case there is another issue causing the fireplace to pull off the wall.
fireplace2.jpg fireplace1.jpg

Does not sound normal to me for it to have moved that much.
I'd start by checking under the house to see what's causing the floor to move.
It could be many things.
Undersized floor joist.
Sinking or failing piers.
Not enough beams to support the spans.
Insect or fungus damage.
Undersized or partical board subflooring.

I'll guess the surround is not properly attached to the wall. Structural issues I would think should show some cracking in the drywall or voids at the floor and wall. Like I said, just a guess...

I agree with oldog, however is the FP electric, gas or wood?

It's hard to tell what's going on from that small overall picture. When I zoom in on it, it almost looks like it could be leaning forward a bit, leaving a large gap at the top. And/or the wall's plumb was affected by the temperature

I'd wait and see what happens when the temps go back up. Then if the space has reduced in size, I'd decide whether to put a trim piece to hide it. But it looks like you'd have to attach the trim piece to the wall to allow the hidden space to open and close.

Back