Jeep Yj MPFI conversion.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially put an extra washer in behind the stop bolts and it still rubbed, I could have spaced it out more, limiting my turning radius in the process, but if I am honest the rubbing at full turn was only the excuse I used to sell it to my wife lol. I really thought the tires needed a bit wider stance, but I liked the wheels so I did not really feel like spending several hundred dollars on new wheels when the spacers would do the same thing for a lot less money. so I fixed my rubbing issue, and got the look I was after. and it cost about 150.00 much less than a new set of wheels.

Damn, you are one, sly fox!

Damn, you are one, sly fox!
lol, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do lol.

I was looking on facebook the other day and I saw this jeep on yj fanatics. it was bright yellow and he had the bezels around the head light painted black. it looked really cool. I wasn't sure how it would look on my jeep because it is so much darker, so I decided to try it with plastidip so if I don't like it I can just remove it. anyway what do you think.

before

during

after

I didn't like the thought but after seeing it, I actually like it better.

First trip on these old man emu springs, they are junk. My old superlift springs took five years of abuse after ten years of road use before sagging so much they were worthless. These bent on my first rock hit and then one broke after a full droop. I will never buy another set of these. Cost me a set of springs and a tire and wheel. That and getting stuck in a place that was very difficult to get me out. Had to drive three miles down a trail with a flat tire and broken spring. Had to winch my own axle to keep it in place.

View attachment 20170303_133029.jpg

I like the after pics MG, just don't put any of those eyelashes on it...:waggingfinger:

Chris, you just sold me on getting a BDS lift kit for my YJ. Sorry about the failure, I'm sure it messed up your day.

Well, that sucks.

wow, I really looked hard at those ome springs. I wanted them because everyone gushes about how well they ride, but I decided I did not want to spend that much more to get all of what comes in my rubicon express kit. so I went with them. I have not had a chance to take it out and see what it will do, but I had good luck with my last yj that had this lift on it.

btw chris that is still a really cool looking jeep. I love it, even though it has round lights lol.

wow, I really looked hard at those ome springs. I wanted them because everyone gushes about how well they ride, but I decided I did not want to spend that much more to get all of what comes in my rubicon express kit. so I went with them. I have not had a chance to take it out and see what it will do, but I had good luck with my last yj that had this lift on it.

My last set were Superlift and they rode softer than the OME and lasted. They would bend but not break. And the only bend because of what I do to them in my jeep, they would probably never give you an issue. I ordered a set of Rubicon Express springs yesterday because I couldn't remember which springs I had before that I loved and then a buddy reminded me so I am trying to cancel my order now so I can go back to Superlift. He also ran the superlift springs on his rock crawler and loved them. He had the same breaking issue with his Rubicon express. I think the issue is in the steal and how it is tempered. They make the steal more ridged so they keep shape longer but in turn they break easier. I also thought the OME were supposed to be something great but there was nothing I liked about them. Ride was not great, flex was not great and they broke twenty minutes into my first ride.

btw chris that is still a really cool looking jeep. I love it, even though it has round lights lol.

It's going under the knofe once I get settled in in Idaho, I want to do a frame off on it and change a few things. I want to go to 40's or 42's and get my steering the way I want it. I need to find an Ford Dana 60. This Dodge one has no aftermarket support. I like the TJ grill, between that and a V8 it confuses the heck out of everyone.

well I finally decided on a rear bumper. I thought about getting a swing away tire holder, and really had planned to do that, but the truth is right now my jeep is more of a mall crawler than a rock climber. I don't want to have to mess with opening the tire carrier everytime I want to access the cargo area. I already am annoyed that I have to open the tailgate all the way to get the window opened. I also perversely, like the gas filler behind the license plate. it is one of those quirky things that make it a yj. like the square headlights. I did want a hitch receiver and some recovery points so I found one that matches the front pretty well. I ordered it and it should be here soon.

Did you ever find a family roll bar?

No. And I have basically decided for now that I like the sport bar look, and the idea of trying to get those bolts out is causing me to think. I will just keep it how it is for now. If I run across one real cheap some day I might snatch it up. I will just have to wait and see

I went to a nearby junk yard with my son last month and picked up a family roll bar for the YJ. The owner helped us load it onto the truck and had it installed in 5 minutes. Well worth the headache, especially if it rolls over.

I was mentioning it because I got the Rampage soft top and it is pretty neat. Unlike Havasu I learned to put it on in the heat when it will stretch and after a couple days on it stays stretched to where you can zip it up again. It's nice not having a frame under the top. I bet once I move I will run the hardtop again when its freezing out.

yeah I would like to have one, but I have not found one close enough that I could get it yet. it is too large to ship of course, and with my job I can very rarely go on a roadtrip to get parts. so I will have to wait until I happen to find one on craigslist close by.

Will you be heading to idaho next year? I plan on building a full cage and you could have mine

Back