Kitchen countertop rough underneath

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by house92, Jun 10, 2015.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1

house92

house92

house92

My parents have a laminate countertop in their kitchen. It is rough underneath the lip that hangs over; it appears to be presswood. Apparently, it has become more rough over the years for whatever reason. My mom says if she leans against it while washing dishes, it may snag her clothing.

I thought about applying a piece of laminate underneath, but it is rough and I assume it wouldn't stick well, and I don't think sanding would be real good in that position.

Would a couple coats of latex paint over this make it smooth and solve the problem?

2. Jun 10, 2015 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Paint would help or some plastic wood filler then paint. I like to use 2 part auto body filler and then sand it out and paint.

3. Jun 11, 2015 #3

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Put sand paper on a block and then add tape around the edges so you don't scratch the cupboards. The problem is moisture will make this stuff swell and it makes it rough.

4. Jun 12, 2015 #4

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor

I'd sand it as feasible, apply wood filler, then sand out, prime and paint. That should hold up for a good while, moisture not withstanding.