Led light strips vs lamps

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renraw9002

Reaction score
Moving into a small apartment. I'm debating on using led light strips to light up my living room and bedroom instead of lamps. I'm having a hard time finding white LED strips that work with Alexa. I wouldn't install molding or anything. I was thinking of just using the sticky back light strips and putting them along one edge of the ceiling.

I installed LED tape lights in my kitchen. Light up 3 separate sections with one kit by using splicing connectors.
However, didn't notice anything that would work with alexa.
Doesn't apple make a smart outlet that you can plug the light strip into?

They have kits on Amazon that work with Alexa. I was more concerned with are they actually going to be bright enough to pleasantly light a room.

Oh and the light strips that work with Alexa are the type that can do white, but they can also do the ridiculous rainbow of colors I don't have a use for. Maybe I'll just get a regular dimmable white led strip and plug into a smart outlet.

It's up to you what you want... But though I've always been big on LED lighting, and have always kept up with and advocated for the technology, I'd hesitate to use strip lighting in a home, other than in rooms like the kitchen and baths.

Lamps give you a homey, localized warmth you can't get from strips, which are more functional in nature. If all you need to do is see, sure. But lamps are part of your personal decorating—and I don't mean just the fixtures, but the light they provide.

Maybe creating a cosy, homey feeling isn't a priority, and you're going for more of a spaceport look. (The "home of the future" in Disneyland's Tomorrowland comes to mind.) Then, sure, strips. Otherwise, I'd go with lamps—they're a lot more personal. For what it's worth.

It's up to you what you want... But though I've always been big on LED lighting, and have always kept up with and advocated for the technology, I'd hesitate to use strip lighting in a home, other than in rooms like the kitchen and baths.

Lamps give you a homey, localized warmth you can't get from strips, which are more functional in nature. If all you need to do is see, sure. But lamps are part of your personal decorating—and I don't mean just the fixtures, but the light they provide.

Maybe creating a cosy, homey feeling isn't a priority, and you're going for more of a spaceport look. (The "home of the future" in Disneyland's Tomorrowland comes to mind.) Then, sure, strips. Otherwise, I'd go with lamps—they're a lot more personal. For what it's worth.

Yea I ended up using smart bulbs, can't believe how cheap they've gotten, I got 2 strips of LEDs and you're right. They're simply not bright enough to light up an entire room to a comfortable level. I returned the strips and got my $60~ back and just picked up some bulbs for $10~ piece. Much better.

Back