Lennox G40uh Furnace dies sometimes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordovan66

Reaction score
Please help me diagnose my furnace problems.

Over the last 5 years my furnace has gone dead about half a dozen times and resurrected after a few hours. It’s happened twice in the last week.

The 2 diagnostic LEDs are dead. I measured the voltage at the 24V transformer. It’s generating 27V just fine. The fuse is ok. The red wire leading to the thermostat has 0V. This kills my AC also which is what I need these days.

My guess is the Surelight board has a problem. I saw some corrosion/deposits on the big IC on it. I cleaned it with 91% alcohol but it made no difference.

The furnace is a Lennox G40UH-48B-090X-03

Can you tell me which Surelight board I need. Does anyone have a schematic of the board and any tips on what common failures on it are, if I try to fix the board instead of replacing.

The board itself should have the information to track down a replacement.

Thanks. I did fix the problem.
It turned out that the 12-wire connector through which 24V was going from the transformer to the Surelight board had a bad solder joint.
Instead of taking out the board and fixing the solder, I ran another wire from the transformer to the fuse. It's held on both ends by alligator clips. Seemed sturdy enough but if it ever fails I'll resolder it.

Tracking down the problem took some work. I found an ebay seller of the same board. It had pictures of the front and back. I used them to figure out the circuit diagram and traced the power flowing in. It didn't take much work after that - it turned out the issue was near the beginning of that flow.

Back