Linseed oiled deck.

Discussion in 'Decks & Patios' started by Elbowrust, Jul 31, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 31, 2017 #1

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

I'm going to be pressure washing and sealing an existing deck before winter and am considered sealing it with linseed oil. I'm interested in linseed oil as it's used on wood trim on yachts.
    I'm looking for a natural finish that shows the grain and has a shine to it.
    Does anyone have experience with linseed oil on decking? Should I use Tung oil too? I noticed HD has wood oil for decking at a reasonable price. Any advice appreciated.

2. Jul 31, 2017 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

My nephew used it on his deck and it looked ok for a while and then got black. I would stick with deck products made for decking that have additives for UV and mildewing etc.

Linseed comes boiled and raw. The boiled dries out and is like a clear oil paint actually.

For years I undercoated my truck each fall with raw and it worked really good with the road salt here. I don’t see raw in bulk here anymore, only small cans for gun stocks and boat trim like you mentioned and that is rubbed into the wood from time to time. Now I use a product called fluid film and it is a wool oil / wax product and is lanolin. I wouldn’t use that on a deck though.

Elbowrust likes this.
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #3

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Elbowrust likes this.
  4. Aug 1, 2017 #4

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

This is the effect I'm trying to achieve. Pic from google under oiled decks.

IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. Aug 1, 2017 #5

Flyover

Flyover

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse

That's gorgeous. If you figure out how to make your deck look like that let me know!

Elbowrust likes this.
  6. Aug 1, 2017 #6

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

So a little digging and I found the wood in the above pic is Tigerwood. It looks amazing but still I'm trying to achieve something similar with an oiled finish. I don't mind reapplying oil every year if I have to.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #7

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

I used a commercial deck stain that is semitransparent. As PT deck wood needs some pigment if you want that reddish hue. It tints the wood and also lets the grain come thru. Here are a couple pic of mine and keep in mind mine was recycled wood that had baked in the sun for 10 years before I built my deck from it. It is not Tigerwood and that deck is beautiful.

1IMG_6343.jpg

1IMG_6345.jpg

Elbowrust likes this.
  8. Aug 2, 2017 #8

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

Have you looked into Watco Danish Oil. I am not sure if you can use it on exterior surfaces, but, with a couple of coats it looks alot like that picture. I Have used it on trimwork. It doesn't build a surface film, it penetrates into the wood.

9. Aug 2, 2017 #9

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Is Danish and Tung oil the same thing? I've used Tung oil on furniture inside and it dries hard with exposure to air. I like that finish but not sure how it holds up to outdoor weather.

10. Aug 2, 2017 #10

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Elbowrust likes this.
  11. Aug 2, 2017 #11

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

At $56 CAD a gallon Tung Oil is not cheap, requires sanding between coats and did I mention sanding between coats? Not that easy on a deck with railings.
    I'm going to look into commercial wood oil and see what's available.

12. Aug 2, 2017 #12

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

The brand I like is Behr transparent or semitransparent. On rails and uprights I get 5 years and floors maybe 2-3. Using snow shovels and salt makes it 1-2. It is so easy to redo on the floor it wouldn’t be a deal to coat it every year. I do mine every other year and the rails and stuff when it needs it.

13. Aug 2, 2017 #13

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Elbowrust

Thanks bud16415 and everyone else for their advice. I will definitely have a look at the Behr products.

14. Aug 7, 2017 #14

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Other factors to consider are how well it stands up to foot traffic and how slippery it can be in rain and snow

Elbowrust likes this.
  15. Aug 8, 2017 #15

Steve123

Steve123

Steve123

What kind of wood is your deck?

Going to have a hard time getting pressure treated pine to look like tigerwood, that's why they spend the money on using tigerwood (actually, tigerwood is not that expensive, but ipe holds it color better).

I always figure spring is a better time to finish a deck. Then it looks good all summer. That photo of the tigerwood deck is immediately after the oil has been applied. Will not look that great one year forward.

slownsteady likes this.