Metal roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rideonbon

Reaction score
In the middle of an addition on my house. Installed metal roofing over exposed rafters. Now I'm not sure how to insulate it and install a moisture barrier. It will have drywall or wood for the ceiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance .

Welcome.
Since your statement implies that you are an owner/builder, you have 2 option, as this point.

1 is to have foam insulation blown in, and hope.

2 is too remove the roof, install 1/2" OSB, felt base, and then reinstall the roof.

You can then insulate the structure, from inside, and proceed with the finish.

I do believe you've put the cart before the horse. I agree with snooyb, remove the panels, install solid decking, a high temp underlayment and reinstall the roof panels. The way you've installed the panels will be an issue forever. Moisture will eventually find it's way up through anything you try and do now, condense on the underside of the metal, then drip down. Just my 2 cents.

What kind of metal roofing did you use and how was it attached. I’m a little confused as to how you attached it directly to the rafters? If you could post pictures that might clear up for me what you have done so far and what direction you should go.

What kind of metal roofing did you use and how was it attached. I’m a little confused as to how you attached it directly to the rafters? If you could post pictures that might clear up for me what you have done so far and what direction you should go.
I put it on purlins like your supposed to. Everywhere I read said that I could put the metal on exposed rafters. I have to make this work, taking it back off is not an option.

So the type of metal used was it the corrugated agricultural roofing widely used on pole barns and such? I have that type metal on my house as a re-roof and it is becoming very popular around here. Commercial roofers won’t recommend it in most locations for several reasons and I don’t know what code says where you live.

What is the climate like where you live? do you plan on having a flat ceiling below and the space above will be an attic space finished or unfinished? If so maybe the place for insulation is in the ceiling joist bays and the area above is left unconditioned.

Trying to get a bigger picture of where you are at with the addition and what you can afford to do.

I just saw you are in Maryland so you see 4 seasons.

So the type of metal used was it the corrugated agricultural roofing widely used on pole barns and such? I have that type metal on my house as a re-roof and it is becoming very popular around here. Commercial roofers won’t recommend it in most locations for several reasons and I don’t know what code says where you live.

What is the climate like where you live? do you plan on having a flat ceiling below and the space above will be an attic space finished or unfinished? If so maybe the place for insulation is in the ceiling joist bays and the area above is left unconditioned.

Trying to get a bigger picture of where you are at with the addition and what you can afford to do.

I just saw you are in Maryland so you see 4 seasons.
Yes it's the agriculture metal. As for the ceiling, doing flat on the two ends and cathedral at the peak. Atleast that was the plan. Thanks

I think oldog is right about the cart before the horse and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t agree to the ag metal panels even following his plan. He is a retired lifelong roofing expert and business owner and I respect his opinion highly on the topic.

I’m just your average handyman homeowner that has built a couple homes and rebuilt a few others.

How is the code inspection process where you live and have they been out yet?

Painting yourself into a corner with new construction has a way of compounding the more you move ahead in some communities. As an example I helped my nephew build a house and he had a super low budget and he wanted to build the house pole barn construction on a slab. In the county near the city they would have never allowed it, but he bought property in a rural county and went in with his plan and they stamped it good to go.

Did you put the foam strips down that seal the ends and the ridge cap from bugs and driven snow/rain from getting in?

Last edited:
I'd have probably thought about that ahead of time. Sorry if that's been said but that was my first thought when reading the op ... lol

Back