Microwave Suddenly Stopped Working - Hot & Neutral Wires Reversed

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by Skeezix, Oct 7, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Oct 7, 2019 #1

Skeezix

Skeezix

Skeezix

My house was built in 1982. When I bought it in 1995 it had a GE Spacemaker microwave oven. It has been working without problems - until this morning.

As I was about to set the cook time I noticed the display was black. In the past it showed the time. I pressed a couple of buttons but the display remained black.

I unplugged the oven and put in my receptacle tester. It told me that the hot and the neutral were reversed, so I switched them to where they were supposed to be, plugged the oven back in, and Voila! The display came on!

So how is it that the oven worked at least for 24 years (and probably worked since 1982) with those wires reversed and then suddenly stopped working???

2. Oct 7, 2019 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

That is strange.

3. Oct 7, 2019 #3

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

I suspect it is a coincidence. Having the wires reversed is not a good thing but should have no effect on the unit working. My guess is you had some corrosion in the plug/outlet and pulling the plug and inserting the tester cleared it enough.

Time will tell if the unit is failing and the problem was in the unit as an intermittent failure.

4. Oct 7, 2019 #4

JoeD

JoeD

JoeD

Hot neutral reverse will not stop MW from working. I think it was just a coincidence that it started working after you swapped them. Maybe one of them was loose or somewhere else on the circuit there is still a loose intermittent connection.

5. Oct 11, 2019 #5

Skeezix

Skeezix

Skeezix

Must have been one of my senior moments. Thank you all for your replies. If there is a problem, I'm sure it will return - just don't know how long it will be ;)

6. Oct 11, 2019 #6

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You turned off the breaker when you re wired the outlet. Maybe the breaker had popped. Some don't look any different.