Middle of house sinking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I have bought my childhood home and getting ready to do some remodeling. There is some structural issues with the main wall in the middle of the house which runs between the bathroom and the kitchen. Apparently there has been water leakage throughout the years which caused the joist in this area to rot. The house is on a crawlspace so thinking I can open up the floor, sister in some new wood and prop up this wall with one of two supports. My question, what the best way to provide a base for the support? Dig a hole and fill with some bag concrete to create a footer? If yes, how big / deep does this need to be? Are there better options? The subfloor in the kitchen and bathroom is rotten, so no issues tearing them out to access area underneath, but it is a small crawl space. The walls are plaster, so planning on leaving them alone. Is it best to use treated wood against the rotten joist? Should I consider using a metal plate of some type to help support or is that overboard? Open to all suggestions. As you can tell I know just enough to be dangerous, so open to learning.

Yes you need footer under any supports you add. That will depend on the soil you have and the local requirements for footing size and depth. Different areas of the country have different frost depths as an example.

If the flooring is bad and needs taken up that would be my starting point and then you can take photos and see the extent of the damage and start making a plan.

Has the damage letting in the water been fixed?

Since the support is in a protected area I think I would just use a deck block or a solid cap block for a footing.

Last edited:
Back