modern options for upgrading a switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tws

Reaction score
greetings garage forum,

i have a well in my garage and a simple single electric wall toggle switch that turns on my pump. i would like to install a remote switch that will activate the pump without having to go inside and flip the switch every time.

i know nothing about wiring but am game to turn off the power and try and install a remote switch.

i was hoping someone might be able to direct me to some remote options and the step by step installation process...

thanks for a great forum.

tws

For the correct answer for this problem, I recommend jumping to our sister site at Houserepairtalk.com. We have electricians there who can easily answer this question for you.

Last week I had to fix my ceiling fan because the remote stopped working. I bought a new universal remote kit for 20 bucks at Lowe's. All it is is a receiver box that you install in line with your hot wire after your switch then you have a remote control to turn it on, it just had two pigtails that you wire nut, took a couple minutes and done . I can see this working with any other light or switch unless you have a lot of amps running through It? It's worth a thought.

At Christmas time, I plug all my Christmas lights into a remote receiver, then plug that into a receptacle. This way, I use the remote to turn on the lights from 60' away. I'm sure this would also work for you.

thanks everyone i appreciate the input... my pump is hard wired to a switch... sounds like the the Lowe's universal remote kit might work... will check it out the only drawback is i wouldn't want the garage door opener or any other remote i have to interfere and trigger the pump.

Garage doors are usually a totally different frequency.

They have a few different kinds that I saw. I got a intelicode one that will only work with this remote. Some were programmable with the 9 pin switches.

Is this well to pump out ground water , Rain water , Sewage or drinking water for the house ?

God bless
Wyr

sorry for the belated reply... this well is to pump out ground water.

Does it have a sump that it sets in , large enough to install float switches ? This is the standard way of doing this . You can even install an extra float , a top float , to signal an alarm ( horn , bell , buzzer , flashing lite , etc. ) .

This would attempt to warn you , if the pump malfunctions and does not keep the water level down correctly .

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...h&fr2=sb-top&fr=tightropetb&type=54431_021017

God bless
Wyr

Back