Mouse Infestation - Building a Trap that Kills

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNBAR

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you want to remove mice from your home, here's the cheapest way:

Buy the simplest of traps, the spring loaded ones

Buy squeeze cheese or peanut butter

Any type of thread, any color, just as long as it is thin.

Where you would normally put the chunks of cheese, wrap that end with that thread, purposely leaving some loose loops, no more than a 1/2" at random.

Get a bunch of these going all around the trip bar of the trap, then smear it with cheese or peanut butter.

The mice won't know that there is a loop in that, that thread will get stuck in their teeth and WHAM!~

You'll hear the cries for help, followed by the rustling that eventually stops. An old timer taught me this trick and we instantly caught 3 times more mice in a recently bought property to solve the problem.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers

Last edited:
The multi catch traps work really well too. They send out a cry that signals more mice to come to the rescue. I caught 3 within a couple of hours last year.

Those are live trap aren't they?

Yep. The tough part (or fun) is figuring out where to let them go.

Unfortunately when I caught 3 we were leaving for the day and I set them out in the garage. It was 15 degrees and they were frozen stiff when I returned....problem solved (although not really the intent of LIVE traps):eek:

Here is a good one for ya. Get an old power cord and attach one conductor to a metal base. run the other wire into a shallow plastic dish or frisbee. Set the dish on the metal base and add enough water to cover the wire. Note; DO NOT DO THIS IF KIDS OR PETS CAN GET TO IT!! When a mouse (back feet on metal base) gets a drink its 120v in the face! Works best in areas where water is hard to find.:beer:

Here is a good one for ya. Get an old power cord and attach one conductor to a metal base. run the other wire into a shallow plastic dish or frisbee. Set the dish on the metal base and add enough water to cover the wire. Note; DO NOT DO THIS IF KIDS OR PETS CAN GET TO IT!! When a mouse (back feet on metal base) gets a drink its 120v in the face! Works best in areas where water is hard to find.:beer:

I'm sure that's a bit cruel and dangerous!

Dangerous sure but it doesn't sound crueler than a mouse trap.

Ha, thats a good trick. Will have to look more into it :)

We had a problem with mice at a vacation rental we stayed at recently.

I bought one of the intruder mouse traps and it killed about 6-7 mice during our short stay.

A little peanut butter was the recommended bait.

41jYWHezaLL._SL500_.jpg

That's great... but I want to keep them out of the house in the first place, too. Otherwise, it's just a neverending battle. Once their scent is in the house, it invites more.

I found this article...

Use these techniques to keep your homestead vermin-free.

Rats and mice cause more damage inside our homes than any other mammal in the world. They spoil food; spread salmonella, hantavirus and 17 other diseases, and chew essential house parts such as electrical wires. Some species even kill young poultry and other livestock. Phenomenally fertile, a cute pair of mice living in your garage can grow into a gang of 20 or more in only a few months.

But you don’t have to use poisons to keep rats and mice from ruining food stuffs and livestock feed, or taking up residence in your attic. Instead, use the “seal up, trap up, clean up” strategy, recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, supplemented with good common sense.

To finish reading the article, click here.

-----------------------
Do you have any animals in the house? I mean, ones that were invited in? lol

Back