Moving tub and sink?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As this is a plumbing question, somewhere between demo and plumbing post some questions in framing about these joists.

do not get overwhelmed, it is doable, your pipes right now are old and leaking, your water lines are galvanized the water must taste bad. if you decide to remove replace the plumbing, we will go step by step with you till you get in put in.

your drawing shows a waste stack going upstairs. i assume that is your upstair bathroom. is that bathroom above this bathroom?
or in another area?
to do this job, their are a couple of tool you will need.

http://screencast.com/t/lwklsTZ6i1

http://screencast.com/t/IDZRyPLEFf8P

you do nut have to buy the drill, you can rent it.

http://screencast.com/t/QPYhL1WQ

http://screencast.com/t/7SN7PSOd

my suggestion would be to completely remove and replace all the plumbing in the bathroom
including the water lines. is this going to be a diy or are you wanting to hire it out?

I agree with Frodo except if the toilet is not moving I wouldn’t mess with that cast drain pipe. Just about everything else will be easier to replace right to the point it enters the cast drain line and there are many adapter fittings to make those connections easy.

I’m a big fan of PEX for supply lines and I won’t use anything else. It is very DIY friendly once you get a couple tools. :)

We would like to DIY, if it is feasible.
Are you talking about just drain lines and water lines, or are you including the toilet and/or stack?

everything, you have some leaky pipes. lets replace that stuff, and you will be done with it.

20150128_185341.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, it will be easier in the long run. Where is the washing machine moving to?

exactly, cut it out, start over, bring it up to code,

cu the cast off. 6'' above the floor and put a clean out.

couple of questions. where is the kitchen sink drain?
where is the washer/dryer drain?

what all is hooked to that stack?

can you give me a layout of the house/ bathrooms/ kitchen/washer

what is in the basement? 1st floor? 2nd floor? 3rd?

Last edited:
Let's see....
The 2nd floor bathroom is directly above the 1st floor bath. The pipe you asked about--yes, that is the kitchen sink drain. The sink is right on the other side of the wall from the bathroom, but will be moved across the room in an eventual kitchen remodel. The washer doesn't drain into the stack. It sort of goes right into the floor, near the stack. I suppose it must connect somewhere to the sewer line. I can only tell you that we have never had any issues with it. The washer is located in the utility room (same room that the new hallway/entry space will be taken from, but a different spot in the room). That's all we have.
As for the leak, I know exactly where it is coming from. It is the tub faucet.
Isn't replacing the stack big bucks? Or is that only if you have to pay for the labor?
My husband and I talked it over last night when we realized that the tub was leaking again. I always hoped to get the bathroom done inside of 2 weeks....you know, like they do on t.v. :) But we are just going to have to cut off the water supply to the tub for now, and work on demoing that area, then framing the new hallway/entry. At that point, we'll have to demo everything else, fix the plumbing, and then finish the room as we are able. It's not so much time (though spring is our busiest time because of kids' schedules), because I can do a lot of the work during the day. It's more the money. And honestly, the more we have to do, the longer it will take. I am okay with that, I guess, since my dad taught me to do the important things right. However, depending on how much this will cost, I don't know how soon I will be able to get started. I finance most of our home improvement projects by plasma donation. It's slow, but steady. Can anyone give me a ballpark for the stack, pipes, etc. that I will need? I do mean ballpark. Not looking for guarantees....just a target to shoot at so that I can have an idea when I can get started. Who knows? It's always possible that we will get a little tax refund......:eek:

Last edited:
I agree, it will be easier in the long run. Where is the washing machine moving to?

The washing machine won't move. It is in the utility room. As you walk from the kitchen to the utility room, it is to the left, across from where the door to the new hallway/entry will be. It's a good spot and I don't plan to move it.

The new sink will be no more than 10 feet from the current one. Maybe 6 feet from the washing machine plumbing.

So fifteen feet from from the stack. Can you have a look at the roof tomorrow and see if there are two stacks sticking up. Should be a big one near where the toilet stack is and hopefully a smaller one, above the kitchen sink.

just a ballpark, materials only, no fixtures, no tools,
pvc pipe and fittings,pex pipe, for bathroom, and new drain to kitchen sink

replace waste stack 6'' above floor to ceiling of 1st floor.. around $500.00
this is without putting a pencil to anything,

I suggest..first thing that is done,,the water going to that bathroom be isolated valved off.
so that the rest of the house can function while the bathroom is down.

2nd, demo bathroom

3rd, demo the waste stack and replace the stack in one day..a weekend.
so that the upstairs bath will not be down more than 1 day.

4th run waste lines in bathroom/vents

5th run waste line to kitchen

6 run new water lines

is the ceiling of the bathroom being removed and replaced?

do you have windows paint on your pc ?
can you draw,,a floor plan of your house ?

here is a sheet of paper..

BATHROOM.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not a pro but have rebuilt a few of these old places and to me that cast iron stack and drain has been working for 100 years and looks like it has several hundred more years left in it. The part above the basement floor is most likely in better shape than what’s underground I would think.

Seeing as how the OP is on a budget I would suggest giving them all the pros and cons of going both ways and let them pick what is in their budget and also skill level.

Taking the stack down is also going to disrupt their second story bath during the project also.

Mrs E. can you explain to me.

is the bathroom wall, sitting on the concrete?

is that pipe the toilet waste ? 12'' from the wall?

where is the bathroom wall in relation to the concrete stem wall and joists?

i need to know, if that wall is accessible for a 2'' pipe , i suspect, it is not ,that is why i do not see any vents.

20150128_185242.jpg

Last edited:
list of fittings, so you can chase prices, and get an idea

to replace waste stack
20' 4'' pvc sch 40 pipe
1- 4'' c.o. tee with plug
1 - 4x2 san tee
1-- 4x2 wye
1--4x3 san tee
2- 4'' plastic x cast iron bands
to not replace stack, but cut in and replace/reposition fittings.
3 - 4'' pl x 4'' ci bands
2--2'' plastic x cast bands
10' 4 '' pipe
1- 4x2 wye
pvc, sch 40 fittings
drain fittings

4x3 reducer,
3'' combo
3x2 reducer
2'' 90
2'' san tee
2'' ptrap
2x 1 1/2 bushing
1 1/2 trap adapter
4'' closet colllar
4x3 90

lav, 2'' st 45
2 x 1 1/2 san tee
1 1/2 90

kichen drain

2''90
2''45

.pipe

10' 3'' pvc
60' 2''
10' 1 1/2''
10' 4''

qt, glue,,qt primer, 2 rolls 2 hole hanger strap,

budget in,,$.50.00 for stuff forgoten

Okay, I have taken a few more pictures, and I will try to figure out how to add the labels and arrows. I will also work on getting the full layout pic for you.

For now, before I forget (because I have to admit that I am getting overwhelmed), please just let me say, "THANK YOU"! You are all so helpful. I have looked at some other message boards that I would never post to, because a simple question tends to draw attacks and insults, rather than help.

My dad could have given us some advice, but he died 10 years ago, before this project was even on our radar. My husband's dad is the type who probably knows, but never bothered to teach his sons, so my husband, though he can do the work, needs advice to know what to do and when. My husband works in the trucking industry, and is gone from 6 am to 7 pm each day (and that's when nothing goes wrong), plus drives on many Saturdays, just to keep the bills paid. So I try to figure out what needs to be done, how much it will cost, and do what I can until he has time to work on it with me. I have learned a lot over the last several years, just by doing. But this will be our first major plumbing project. And I have never so much as changed a faucet. So all that to say, I don't know what I'm doing, I don't even know the right terms most of the time, and I am pretty lost. You have been so helpful and patient, and I am grateful. Knowledge banishes fear, and I am learning from you. I just didn't want to forget to say thank you.

Okay...I figured it out. I looked at both sides of the roof. There is only one vent pipe, and this is it.

Vent pipe.jpg

Latest posts

Back