Moving tub and sink?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katy:
You can print Frodo's list and ask for a quote at a plumbing supply or lumber yard. Maybe just by email.

hope so, the vents, are going to have to wait till the wall gets opened up
and she can tell us where the old vents are at. i suspect,that the upstairs drain is wet venting the down stairs right now

my plan for the waste stack. I have to meet code.

and it looks like the bathroom wall sits on the concrete sill.

so in order to get a drain up to the bathroom.

this is what i propose,

you are going to need to get a 4 1/2'' grinder with an abrasive wheel to cut the old cast iron
you will need thick leather gloves, i prefer a full face shield,

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-buffers.html

let me introduce you to harbor freight, cheap tools, they will last long enough to to the job. LOL

BATHROOM.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, here are a few pictures that will hopefully make more sense of the basement situation. The foundation wall basically has a ledge at the same level as the bottom of the joists. The lav drain and water supply lines are sort of tucked behind the joist and above the ledge.

close view lav.jpg

Lav drain up view.jpg

Foundation ledge.jpg

Behind joist.jpg

And here is the laundry drain. I just realized that the dishwasher is also tied into this. It is a portable dishwasher, but Jeff hooked it up like a permanent where the sink will eventually go. It has worked well and I don't have to block the sink every time the dishwasher runs.

Washer drain.jpg

never mind, you got it,,thanks for pictures

Last edited:
And here is the laundry drain. I just realized that the dishwasher is also tied into this. It is a portable dishwasher, but Jeff hooked it up like a permanent where the sink will eventually go. It has worked well and I don't have to block the sink every time the dishwasher runs.

The pile of dirt is likely hiding something we don't want to see but it look like the washer drain enters an open hole. If that's the case, it's not good, pack some rag or something around it to stop sewer gas from entering house.

we can fix that washer also,,,,piece of cake

why dont we start right here...get you feet wet on something easy

is that pipe in the ground a hub ?

if it is, is it a 2'' hub or a 3'' hub

2'' is going to be about 4'' across and 3'' will be about 5'' 4'' will be around 6''

cause its bigger than the actual pipe

thV7HHMDSA.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, here are 3 layouts. I only did the area of the house that has any plumbing, as I assume that's all that matters. This area of the house is narrow, and three sides of the layout shown are exterior walls (only to the right, as indicated, are any other rooms).

The first is the current 1st floor, the 2nd is the future 1st floor, and the 3rd is the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor bathroom will eventually be remodeled, but there is no other layout possible, so nothing will change there.
The scale is not exact, but close. I just realized that the kitchen exterior wall is actually about 2 feet further out than the utility room exterior wall (bottom of picture). I always forget that.

Plumbing help 1st level.jpg

Plumbing help 1st level future.jpg

Plumbing help 2nd level.jpg

is that pipe in the ground a hub ?

if it is, is it a 2'' hub or a 3'' hub

2'' is going to be about 4'' across and 3'' will be about 5'' 4'' will be around 6''

cause its bigger than the actual pipe

I don't think it is a hub. But I took a few more pics just in case.

Just curious: The laundry drain has been there since before we moved here 13 years ago. Wouldn't we have noticed sewer gasses if that was a problem? Or had a backup of some sort? Also, I don't know if it is relevant, but there is a drain in the floor. This is what is referred to around here as a "Michigan basement"--we do have a concrete floor, but it is never meant to be finished. The concrete has channels carved into it that lead to the drain, so when we occasionally get some water in the basement in the spring, it ends up in that channel and then in the drain.

Laundry drain pipe 1.jpg

Laundry drain pipe 2.jpg

Laundry drain pipe 3.jpg

Last edited:
Why don’t you keep the bathroom set up as is and put the new door coming in from the mud room?

I would think if you are outside and need the bathroom it would seem quite normal having the door right there. To me it seems odd walking thru the kitchen into the laundry room and down a hall to get in the bath. Often when we have company we are in the kitchen cooking etc and guests have to go around us for the bathroom. You have a natural place for the door with a lot less work and cost and your utility room won’t be broken up into 3 areas. You would get your nice long wall in the kitchen. I would add a door to the utility room if you don’t have one now.

Just my thoughts after seeing the new and old layouts.

replace waste stack 6'' above floor to ceiling of 1st floor.. around $500.00
this is without putting a pencil to anything,

is the ceiling of the bathroom being removed and replaced?

I missed this earlier. So you don't recommend replacing entire waste stack, all the way through second floor bath? I do remember something being done to the vent when our roof was replaced a few years ago, but I will have to check with my husband to see what it was.

And yes, the ceiling will be removed and replaced. It is plaster in bad shape, and previous owners just wallpapered over it.

I like Bud's idea.
There might be a trap in the floor drain if that is water we are looking at in the photo

in the plan you posted, the future lay out. the cabinet, that sits next to the washer. is that going to be a half wall?

or just the end of a cabinet. i ask because. if it is a half wall, and it is not on the slab, but on the edge of it. we could put a drain washer box in that half wall, instead of draining into the basement

I missed this earlier. So you don't recommend replacing entire waste stack, all the way through second floor bath?

the call is up to you, if it was my home, i would replace all the cast i could.

but, if you want to try and save money..we can just cut out bare minimum

you can make up your mind after you see the inside of the pipes. they are either clear or plugged. most likely junk in them

sounds like your washer drain is an area drain,,,we cant do anything to it.

at some point, you do need to put a grate over the hole

If you change the stack up the the ceiling in the lower bathroom the rest could be changed out with the upper reno when it is done.

Pull the toilet and have someone come out with a scope and take a look. Might be the best money you will spend on the whole project. :)

Why don’t you keep the bathroom set up as is and put the new door coming in from the mud room?

I would think if you are outside and need the bathroom it would seem quite normal having the door right there. To me it seems odd walking thru the kitchen into the laundry room and down a hall to get in the bath. Often when we have company we are in the kitchen cooking etc and guests have to go around us for the bathroom. You have a natural place for the door with a lot less work and cost and your utility room won’t be broken up into 3 areas. You would get your nice long wall in the kitchen. I would add a door to the utility room if you don’t have one now.

Just my thoughts after seeing the new and old layouts.

Totally agree with your thoughts. Unfortunately, the trap door access to the basement prevents it. The door lifts up out of the floor and swings toward the porch door. You then step onto the stairs going down to the basement. It has to be left open when someone is down there, because it would be very difficult to lift from below. So if someone were to open the trap door while someone else is in the bathroom, we could have a very bad accident. In my dreams, we would provide access to the basement from elsewhere in the house, but there really isn't another place in the house. We are stuck.

And yes, we do plan to add a door between the kitchen and utility room.

Last edited:
in the plan you posted, the future lay out. the cabinet, that sits next to the washer. is that going to be a half wall?

or just the end of a cabinet. i ask because. if it is a half wall, and it is not on the slab, but on the edge of it. we could put a drain washer box in that half wall, instead of draining into the basement

That's just the kitchen cabinets.

If you change the stack up the the ceiling in the lower bathroom the rest could be changed out with the upper reno when it is done.

Okay. I guess I didn't realize we could connect new pvc to old cast iron. I suppose I was envisioning one long cast iron pipe.

I was also envisioning much higher numbers. If the ballpark is in the $500 range, we will probably just go ahead and do it. It will take a few months to save up, because I want some wiggle room in the funds available. The last thing I need is a house with no bathrooms available. But I was thinking it would cost in the thousands, and that would take much, much longer.

Latest posts

Back