Moving water pipes in laundry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serge1966

Reaction score
I am looking to move a couple of pipes in my DIY project to install drywall in our basement laundry in townhouse home.

When drywall will be being installed, there are a number of pipes on the way of expected drywall surface, that seat firm and I think I will have to just cut the drywall to leave space in those areas. But there are a couple of pipes that seem need to be moved/adjusted. Please see the picture below:

Sketch01a.png

The red arrows point to the cold water/sprinkler pipes, which are touching the top plate. The lower part of these pipes is located at a distance to the surface of the expected drywall and at the top they are attached to the top plate with pipe straps. So it looks like they need to be unattached from the plate and the top part moved by drywall thickness away from the wall in the blue arrows direction. Then the drywall installed and then the pipe straps reattached to the drywall. The blue line/cross at the bottom show where the pipe goes into the wall.
The left (brown) pipe is copper sprinkler pipe, which goes upwards, then away from the wall for about 1.5 meters and then turns right for at least 4 more meters. With such lengths, I think it will be safe to move its top part 1/2" away from the wall.
The right (yellow) CPVC pipe travels upwards and then to the opposite side the laundry and has a couple of tees with one around 2 meters from the top plate. If just moved 1/2 inch, I think it will apply unnecessary tension to the pipe so it should be shortened. Do I just cut it, shorten it and then re-attach with a coupling fitting?
One issue here is all DIY videos show one-by-one CPVC cementing and on each step the parts should be "twisted" while pushed in order to fit to full depth, but I can only do it for the first pair. Should I cement all three pieces in one shot and then have somebody push the pipes together while twisting the coupling?
One other question, when I will be cutting the pipe, and shut off the master valve, should I expect all water currently in the upper pipes to come out from the cut or just some, due to vacuum at the upper part of the pipes? If not all, should I still drain all pipes by opening faucets one by one?
Do I just place a big bowl under the expected cut point to collect the water?

Latest posts

Back