My house seems to be getting colder every winter. Can I run some sort of full-house efficiency assessments?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
We live in a split level house build in 1960. Replaced the HVAC system about 10 years ago. It seems that every winter we generally feel colder in the house. We change our HVAC filters every 6 months and cleaned the ducts a couple of years ago. Is there a way to do some sort of full-house evaluation to figure out if there might be any sort of deterioration going on in the HVAC system, insulation, any major leaks in the building etc? So some sort of holistic analysis that would involve everything that affects HVAC performance and comfort level in the house?

Check with your local utility company, some will come and do an energy audit at little to no cost. Weatherization will greatly help raise the comfort level in your home. Drafty windows, failed door seals need to be maintained.

Check with your local utility company, some will come and do an energy audit at little to no cost. Weatherization will greatly help raise the comfort level in your home. Drafty windows, failed door seals need to be maintained.

Thx. Pinged my electric and gas companies, will see what they say

It seems that every winter we generally feel colder in the house.

Could be just part of getting old.

If you set your thermostat at 72 last year, and set it at 72 this year, your house should still be at 72, so long as your thermostat is working properly.

However, near doors or windows, you can develop drafts due to deteriorating weatherstripping. That could cause you to feel cold when close to some doors or windows, or make one or more rooms colder.

Google "energy audit name-of-my-town". There are outfits who do exactly that. As mentioned previously, you could get lucky and get a free energy audit from your gas company.

there are companies that do this, they use a special heat seeing camera to do an energy audit .
An energy audit is an inspection survey and an analysis of energy flows for energy conservation in a building. It may include a process or system to reduce the amount of energy input into the system without negatively affecting the output. In commercial and industrial real estate, an energy audit is the first step in identifying opportunities to reduce energy expense and carbon footprint.

Back