My New Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mvlawn

Reaction score
I am close to getting the shell done and was looking for ideas on what to complete before I finish the ceiling. I will wiring for lights and running a 1 1/4" air line ring header. Is there anything I am missing before drywall goes on the ceiling?

/Users/vernonbrown/Desktop/IMG_2908.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2908.jpg

The most obvious would be a sound roof before installing any drywall...especially with those rain clouds shown in the picture.

No roof would make it easier to wash a car while still in the garage.

LOL Havasu...I have ran with your suggestion and its being installed this minute.

Damn, I didn't realize I had so much power! :D

Seriously, this is a great looking garage. What are your plans with it?

Parking cars and/or toys? Auto builds? Man Cave? Dad's pad when Mom's mad?

It's mostly to house my toys but I want it to be functional as well. Thats why I am looking for ideas from people who have already went through the experience.

I see it is a "stand alone" building. Are you going to have power to it?

If so, make sure you have more than adequate electric plugs, air line taps and if you are going to have a work bench, make sure you have good bracing between the studs in that area for mounting a work bench.

havasu. It will have 100 amp 240 volt 32 circuit Square D QO panel. Loads of receptacles 30 200 watt equivalent CFL lights a Toilet, Urial, Sink and Shower. Ohh and a beer fridge.

Thanks for the tip on the work bench I wasn't going to do that but I will now. However it won't come as fast as the roof did. LOL. How big on the bracing 2x12's between the studs?

OK, you have officially surpassed all requirements of manhood by installing a urinal in the garage!

Yep, 2 x 12's are the recommending bracing for a workbench. They also work great for the shower area for handicap shower railing. (You always need to think ahead. these creature comforts only costs pennies now, but can save thousands later!)

Beer fridge triumphs urinal Havasu, you can always just pee out the door if you have to. Cold beer is the hot tip. ;)

Based upon your IP address, you are located in Louisiana, correct?

havasu....You are smarter than the average bear. I work in the gulf of Mexico south of the Mississippi and west of Tampa my IP address is generated from Port Fourchon LA however my garage and house is located near Youngstown Ohio.

I only mention location because I was wondering about the temperatures in the area. Snow and cold weather has its own set of problems as does warm areas. Are you set for Air/heating?

Another thought, whether you plan on utilizing or not, if you are considering alarming any doors or windows, you are at the time to consider doing so at this stage of the build.

Havasu. I heat my house with shelled corn and I plan on doing the same in the garage but also having a heat pump for fall and winter heat along with summer AC. What I have no clue on is how many BTU's i need for a 26X40X10 fully insulated 2X4 wall with 6 windows and 2 16 foot doors. I heat my house 2600 square feet with a 100 K BTU furnace but it doesn't have giant doors in it

We here also help out on another site, House Repair Talk, where this question could be easily answered by the experts.

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/

Please sign in and ask this question, and you will get a quick answer. Also, make sure to tell 'em that Havasu sent you over!

Seriously, stop by House Repair Talk, we'd be more than happy to help over there with any framing, insulation, wiring, heating, you name it. There's a bunch of tradesman who'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Back