Need Threaded Stem Reducer for Casters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronl2k

Reaction score
I have some chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" diameter stem threads that I'd like to use for inserting casters. I have some 1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use them with the 3/8" diameter threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4" threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

Thanks for your prompt reply nealtw. HeliCoils are an interesting tech that I'd never heard of. They seem more oriented towards repairing stripped threads than adapting one bolt thread to another. Those HeliCoils are also a bit pricier than I'd like. A HeliCoil kit on Amazon is $25.85, which is more than the cost of 4 new 3/8" threaded casters.

CarrLane charges $13.21 for four 1/4"-to-3/8" inserts. No shipping estimate but I suspect it might not be worth it with eBay offering $15.99 for 4 new 3/8" casters. And I feel more confident about inserting casters than applying thread inserts. Thanks for your reply Steve123, I'm learning a lot of new stuff about thread inserts here. I'll look more into thread insert tech even if it's not my final choice.

Back