new HVAC :air quality problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetsyH60

Reaction score
How do you test for and what area dangers of breathing insulation particles distributed by new HVAC system from inside insulated soft air supplies installed in the 1970's?
I am seeing new light dust on furniture and blinds daily. The dust seems fibrous and some fibers are curled. I had the whole place cleaned again on Friday and by Sunday the dust was back. While the dust seems to be through out the house, I can sit in the bathroom beside floor air vent and see particles in the air as the sun filters light through the window. The new HVAC (Installed in Dec) is 2 stage fan gas with heat pump single speed . The unit is all lenox and installed together as a unit. The new blowers are significantly stronger than previous 1995 model which was strictly heat pump.
The air supplies are tubular...soft material with insulation lining and elastic threading running though inside as was typically used in the 1970s. There were places where the tubes were pushed closer together to run closer to garage ceiling and where the tubing was turned creating corners etc. I had the straps released which opened up the pathways inside the supplies within a few minutes after the HVAC fan was turned on. these supplies are the ones that feed the bathrooms as the garage is underneath them (ranch style house)
Also we purchased a Pure Air Steam humidification system . I was worried about the steam causing more problems so I only started using in in the last few weeks.

I need to find out where to get a test kit to see if the air particles contain insulation, where to find fine enough gauze to cover the vents to catch the particles and if there is anyway to fix the problem short of replacing the air supplies

Thanks very much,
Bets

Thanks for the link for special filters. :)
Several choices. I'm getting the one with the most and best reviews that is the thinnest so as not to restrict the air flow.. I already have the best quality whole house air cleaner system, the furnace is clean & closet housing it is clean...so I am pretty sure the problem is in the air supplies so these filters should help.

Cleaning or changing the ducts would be best, don't let these filters get to dirty.
BTW, welcome to the site!

If you are just starting to notice the dust and insulation in the home I would definately rule out a duct leak.

Since the unit is new there is a possiblity that a leak developed during installation or right after, especially if there is no history of the problem.

If you can rule that out then you are at the managing phase of the problem until you change out the disintegrating duct work.

One way I learned to check for leaks (from an old tradesman) was using the door trick. Basically close all the doors and windows and try to determine if there is airflow in or out of the home.

In your case the odds favor a return leak due to the excess insulation being blown out. See if the fibers match what is in the attic (fiberglass, cellulose etc).

Good luck to you

Back