Nutcracker fiasco

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quatrix

Reaction score
Good Day,

I need advice on repairing my wooden nutcracker (photos attached). During New Year’s celebration nutcracker could not handle excessive use and cracked right in the middle. Does anyone have any ideas on how to best repair it? I don’t want to purchase a new one.

Looks like it will be difficult to glue properly near those wooden threads, without oozing out into them.

After gluing, you could put a hose clamp or other type of reinforcing collar around that narrow neck.
Or several wraps of high strength wire with the ends securely twisted.
Won’t look great but will add lots of strength.

You could add a metal disc on the bottom, with 6 very short screws, to help splint the bottom together after gluing.

Maybe time to get a metal nut cracker. $9.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-Cracker-Walnut-Opener-Non-slip/dp/B01N03605P

Last edited:
I would try wood glue and clamp it good until it dries. Use a wet Q-Tip to clean up the glue that squeezes into the threads and bowl area and a wet cloth to clean up the outside all before it dries. Then let it sit for 24 or 48 hrs while it dries. Should be good to go after that. Wood glue is strong stuff as long as you using it on clean wood.

If you are still concerned about it you could make some tooth pic dowels and install them before you glue it all together but I doubt that would be necessary.

All,

Thank you for the ideas. I think I will start with getting some warm hide glue (I've never even knew it existed). From taking a surface read it seems to me that it is strong.

Jeff Handy,
I was also thinking of starting all over again and buying a new one but I come from the generation when if something goes wrong, people tried fixing it, rather than throwing it away. :) Apart from that, I like your input in post #3, [URL="https://www.houserepairtalk.com/threads/nutcracker-fiasco.29854/#post-248615"]Nutcracker fiasco[/URL]. Whenever I get some more free time I will try it.
Thank you!

Back