Older Kenmore Freezer: Icemaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebranscomb

Reaction score
I don't think it's ever worked since I moved to my place but with extra CV time for projects I'm working on getting it running... No ice buildup or leaking, just doesn't make ice.... I tried the defrost the back tubes via hair dryer yesterday and adjusted the gear to get the wheel spinning and arm raising/lowering again but no still ice...

Trying a full defrost of the fridge now. Any other tips or is it more likely replacement is called for?

Side question: I'd never noticed I had a freezer lightbulb which I've changed but there appears to be no switch (as on the refrigerator) to trigger it nor is there a hole where the switch might have once been. I must be missing something?

This is a very basic freezer on top, doors open left to right model.

The icemaker may not work if freezer isn't cold enough. If you can check the temperature out, that would be a start. A good test is if your ice cream is soft or hard. If it's hard the freezer is cold enough. My wife shoves stuff in there and blocks the vents, there in reducing the cold air. Make sure they're clear . Check the thermostat to see what number/letter it's set at.
Post a picture of the icemaker so we can see which one it is. Don't make us have to look up a model number ...:rolleyes:

Type in Kenmore parts and put in the Model # and with a little bit of searching you can probably find a parts list and search for freezer light switch.

Last edited:
Do you have power to the ice maker? Is the water on? Given top freezer, I assume no ice/water through the door. It could be the solenoid for the water line, it could be the ice maker. My side by side ice maker quit last year. I was able to use the ice maker that I never hooked up in my top freezer second fridge to replace the ice maker in the SxS. Until you get into the top fridge/drawer freezer models the ice makers are pretty standard. Mine was Whirlpool to Whirlpool.

For an appliance pro, go to www.handymanwire.com and register. Then post your question in the appliance section Jeff will come along and offer suggestions. Be sure to post the make and model number in the question. Jeff used to post here, but doesn't any more. He's my go to guy for appliance questions.

Also, if you go to Repairclinic.com and type in your make and model number you can see what parts are available for it. They also have some decent videos on common appliance problems. No one has really come up with a ground breaking design on these things so the video doesn't need to be for your specific model.

Good luck.

I used to have to use a hair dryer on the water inlet periodically on my old Kenmore.

Back