Our Farm

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
So the wife an I have finally decided what we are going to do with our property.

We have decided that first we are getting our irrigation water to the property and then planting many different fruit trees and then some veggies and grapes and other farm stuff. I will be building a fruit stand as we don't have one in our town. The plan is to sell fresh fruit and veggies from all the local farms and even possibly bring in some that we don't have here. The fruit stands we do have are lacking in a lot of areas that I know I can make work. I don't plan on making a killing from this but that is just the beginning. From there I will slowly fix up my property and would like to build a big barn using only old barn wood from local barns and make a wedding and event place in an all rustic farm setting. From a lot of people around here they say those are a few things that are missing and might do well. We have the perfect piece of property for it, we have 15 acres and a river across the street and highway frontage with beautiful views everywhere.

What do you guys think of my plan? I know I'm not gonna make it rich but if I can make my property beautiful and have others pay for it, why not? I have a good buddy who started out doing pumpkin patches in October and then the wedding venue thing and now has a full blown winery on his property. He has been my guidance through most of this and my encouragement. Over the last couple months I have been gathering some rustic Farm equipment and junk as most would say. I think this along with my rentals and construction company I should do OK, that and you all can come visit and stay here to enjoy it.

I was going to post this on another forum most of us are a part of but I don't need some of that influence about how I am doing it all wrong.

Good idea Chris . We have a guy here who opened a small one , Now he has five large stands . We are densely populated here though .

Good luck with it , and remember the Devil hates a coward . :)

9Chris, if you apply yourself like you have in the past, I don't see why you won't succeed. Reward doesn't come to those who sit on the sidelines.

As an old sales manager once told me, plan your work, work your plan.

It sounds like good ideas. My late aunt and uncle made a good living with fruit stands in KC. Of course they had to be part of the "family". Nick knows what I mean.

I love your idea Chris. I would like to suggest that you check out

https://puresalvageliving.com/

He takes down old buildings and builds enchanting tiny homes out of the salvaged components. It may give you some ideas for your barn/chapel.

Neat ! Good luck with it ..

I got lucky, found a guy that his family had a dairy farm and he was cashing out and selling the property. Got this tractor that still works like new and then a trailer load of other old farm stuff for bottom dollar.

Nice to hear that things are working out in your favor for the orchard/farm.

And when pot gets legal there, you are all set.:D

Unfortunately I think it will be a very long time before any drug is legal here.

You can get the government to pay you not to grow crops ..

You can get the government to pay you not to grow crops ..

I have a buddy in CA that has 2,000 acres that they pay him not to farm. He makes 50k a month not farming.

I had an uncle who was paid for years to not grow crops on a field that was too rocky to plow.

25 bucks an acre in California per month. He couldn't make that farming it. Also having no water to farm it he is making out great.

At that rate I would make 375 bucks a month.

Sheesh. I wonder if I could get them to pay me not to farm on my land.. but I wouldn't feel right doing that...

Chris, I think it sounds like an awesome idea! And you can get the kids involved in gardening with you-- spend some quality time with them and hopefully they will enjoy it.

They will until it turns to slave labor

They will until it turns to slave labor

LOL. Well, nothing heavy duty. You can get each of them to plant one or two things and then let them see how it turns out. My late elderly friend got one of his great grand-daughters excited about planting something. He helped her plant it and she kept asking her parents to bring her over so she could see it and he let her harvest it (with his help) when it was ready. So long as the kids are having fun and want to be involved.

I used to help in the garden when I was younger and I enjoyed it-- but they never forced me to do it-- it was just "Hey, you want to come plant these with us?" Only thing I didn't want to pick was the okra. I despise okra and all those prickly hairs on them. LOL.

Latest posts

Back