Outdoor Faucet Leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer79

Reaction score
My front yard faucet leaks (from the threaded area), by the looks of it I think it might need a new washer or a whole new fitting since this one is original to the house. I have no idea how to go about fixing this because I'm afraid I might do something stupid and make it worse and have to call a plumber.

Any help would be appreciated.

Faucet_1.jpeg Faucet_2.jpeg

Where is the main water shutoff to the house?

There are a series of packing and washers, and you need to disassemble to find out the exact sizes.

Where is the main water shutoff to the house?

There are a series of packing and washers, and you need to disassemble to find out the exact sizes.

Well I have two points of shut off. I have a shut off valve directly behind that pipe in my utility room. A few feet below that is the main feed. So it’s just a matter of which knob since it’s all right there, the faucet or or the main.

What climate do you live in? If you live where it freezes now might be the time to replace it with a Freeze-proof faucet.

Try tightening the packing nut first. That is a common problem on hose bibs. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to replace washers and O-rings.

I think it frost free.
There are still washers and O-rings. On a frost free the washer is at the back of the faucet inside the house. There are O-rings at the packing nut to seal it from leaking when you turn the water on.

Back