Painting Metal Building

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBoBoyd

Reaction score
I have a 20 yr old Morton pole barn type building that is 40x40 x 14. It's used more as a shed since I already have an attached 2 car garage. It is starting to rust on the corners from rain and wind, etc so I am going to paint it.

Should I use any primer first? If so, what kind?
Also, what type of paint do I use?

And I am of course, accepting tips and advice too!

Sand, prime, or rust extender, then paint sounds good to me for a Morton building. Sounds like the rust may be comming from the back of the metal? try checkin that out also.
Or mabey you need a gutter to slow down the splashin.
Giddi up, winters a comin.:rolleyes:

Never paint over rust - make sure it's completely stripped to bare metal first. Or else you'll just be doing it again next summer.

I strongly prefer automotive etching primers... might cost a couple bucks more and need to be mixed before spraying, but they're much tougher. Then paint over it with whatever matches the rest of the building.

--Bushytails

So what you are saying is that if you paint over rust, it will eventually just flake or peel off?

Yep, assuming it even sticks - some paints will bead instead of adhere over rust. _All_ rust needs to be removed before painting, or in some circumstances, primed with special rust treatment primers.

--Bushytails

Acrylic latex house paint suitable for painting on metal is recommended unless the previous coats of paint were oil-based.

But, why do you want to paint metal buildings when you can get a variety of metal buildings styles, and a variety of metal carport styles which come in a range of colors and sizes in order to satisfy the needs of almost all commercial and residential customers.

Latest posts

Back