Palmetto Bugs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropMgr

Reaction score
Please someone help me ... I am becoming prisoner to these things in my bathroom and they completely creep me out.

I've lived in the same house for 11 years and all that time not one single roach. Until six weeks ago.

In the last six weeks I have had TEN (yes, I'm keeping count!) and they are coming from my bathroom. I have witnessed them crawling up from the shower drain, and the overflow slit in the sink.

I know this doesn't make sense b/c the pipes are designed to have an area that holds water to prevent not only gasses and smells from entering your home but pests as well; but I have seen them with my own eyes crawling out of these areas.

I contacted the city and they humored me by sending a crew out to the street adjacent to my home to do a camera inspection and according to them there is not an infestation in the lines leading to the house.

I have resorted to keeping the drains plugged when not in use, pouring bleach through the overflow slits in both the sink and tub, and dousing the perimeter of the bathroom with bug spray ... but despite these efforts somehow they are still getting in - I found one yesterday dead (thank goodness!) on the floor.

I am absolutely terrified of these things which I know is ridiculous but it is what it is - I'm not afraid of much, but palmetto's cause me to lose all sense of sanity. I woke in the middle of the night to find one crawling on the dresser not two feet from my head (adjacent to the bathroom) and I didn't sleep in my room for 4 nights (my son found it the 4th night dead on the floor beside the dresser). I was in the shower one morning and reached for my washcloth and when I unfolded it guess what was sitting there waiting for me as I stood dripping wet in my birthday suit? yeah, THAT was fun!

I am now waking half an hour early every day to allow myself the extra time I need to thoroughly inspect the shower, towels, soap dishes, medicine cabinet, and everything else in the bathroom so that I can get through my morning w/o surprises. It is seriously starting to mess with my head.

Please please please tell me how I can get back to the “good ole days” when I didn’t have this problem!

Latest posts

Back