Pool pump wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WasVilla

Reaction score
The subpanel for the pool equipment and landscape wiring is unusual. I’d like your take. There are two, tandem 20A breakers at 110VAC. (see diagram) All the breaker switches throw independently. This means 4 circuits normally. As you can see, the two lugs in the left breaker provide power in two directions. One goes to landscape wiring. The RIGHT breaker splits one of its legs to more landscape wiring.

What? One remaining leg from the left tandem breaker and one remaining leg from the right tandem breaker are combined to provide 220VAC to the pool pump.

Is there any operational reason they did this?

My OCD wants both 220VAC power legs to come from the left tandem breaker.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Pool Wiring Diag.jpg
    Pool Wiring Diag.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 8
Tandem breakers are space savers, so since you chose not to post a photo of the breaker layout in the panel, that's as good as I can do.

A photo would be very helpful as snooyb stated.

My OCD wants both 220VAC power legs to come from the left tandem breaker.
Also, you can't get 240v from a tandem breaker.

How many spaces are available in your panel? If you only have the 2 slots, you're not going to be able to have the 240V on a single two pole breaker. A two pole breaker has to hit both sides of the buss. As AFJES said, you can't get a tandem to do that, it only plugs into one side.

What you have now is wrong because you want both legs to trip when one trips.
Remove the 2 tandems and install 1 double pole.
Find 2 other single pole breakers to swap with the 2 tandems.

What you have now is wrong because you want both legs to trip when one trips.
Remove the 2 tandems and install 1 double pole.
Find 2 other single pole breakers to swap with the 2 tandems.

Agree it is wrong, but if he doesn't have more spaces in his panel, he needs a bigger panel. If they're using tandems because there are only two slots, he can only get 4 circuits with tandem breakers. I don't know if his breakers allow a pin to join the two handles together or if it is even possible on a tandem. I'm also curious if the pool is GFCI protected. It MUST be, but I don't think you can get that in a tandem breaker. This really needs to be reengineered with new equipment.

Agree it is wrong, but if he doesn't have more spaces in his panel, he needs a bigger panel. If they're using tandems because there are only two slots, he can only get 4 circuits with tandem breakers. I don't know if his breakers allow a pin to join the two handles together or if it is even possible on a tandem. I'm also curious if the pool is GFCI protected. It MUST be, but I don't think you can get that in a tandem breaker. This really needs to be reengineered with new equipment.
Ahhh, went back and saw this is a pool (sub-panel) that probably contains space for only 2 single pole breakers. Both the singles were changed to tandem. Can't pin join them cause he needs the 240 circuit to pull one leg per buss and cant literally jump over breakers to tie them together. Chances are this was intended to be a dedicated 240 circuit with 1 2-pole breaker but then someone decided to get creative and add some landscape circuits.
I'd restore the box to the way it was suppose to be and then extend the landscape circuits back to the main and find or make room for them with the old tandems.

Ahhh, went back and saw this is a pool (sub-panel) that probably contains space for only 2 single pole breakers. Both the singles were changed to tandem. Can't pin join them cause he needs the 240 circuit to pull one leg per buss and cant literally jump over breakers to tie them together. Chances are this was intended to be a dedicated 240 circuit with 1 2-pole breaker but then someone decided to get creative and add some landscape circuits.
I'd restore the box to the way it was suppose to be and then extend the landscape circuits back to the main and find or make room for them with the old tandems.

And install a 2 pole GFCI for the pool motor. I had to install a 50amp two pole GFCI for a car charging circuit in my garage. Don't have the EV yet, but I'm future proofing my garage while I'm finishing my basement.

Back