Possible Electrical short

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmiketx

Reaction score
Hello Mike I am a new member first post forgive my rookie mistakes.My ? Is a few days back we had a storm with lighting if not hitting house very close to satellite dish which cause a tripped breaker which I changed once that was done oh by the way this is for a small bedroom which in this room the modem for satellite is located and also a switch and light for attic that is the combination that is tripping the breaker.I then changed the light and switch but this didnt solved the problem it's still tripping breakers once switch is turned on.it is a two wire switch also let me add that the light fixture I noticed the ground wire the fixture wasn't hooked up as I noticed there is no place on fixture to hook it ceramic and also I didnt change bulb.I know very little about electrical but have meter and willingness to learn
.Any knowledge you provide for a halfassed handyman I am forever thankful.

Hello Mike I am a new member first post forgive my rookie mistakes.My ? Is a few days back we had a storm with lighting if not hitting house very close to satellite dish which cause a tripped breaker which I changed once that was done oh by the way this is for a small bedroom which in this room the modem for satellite is located and also a switch and light for attic that is the combination that is tripping the breaker.I then changed the light and switch but this didnt solved the problem it's still tripping breakers once switch is turned on.it is a two wire switch also let me add that the light fixture I noticed the ground wire the fixture wasn't hooked up as I noticed there is no place on fixture to hook it ceramic and also I didnt change bulb.I know very little about electrical but have meter and willingness to learn
.Any knowledge you provide for a halfassed handyman I am forever thankful.
Not to be rude, but, without punctuation, I refuse to read your post.

Let me see if I'm getting this correctly.
Breaker tripped.
You replaced the breaker (not reset it) and the new breaker trips too.
From there you changed the light fixture and light switch and reused whatever bulb was in the old fixture.
Now the new breaker holds until the light switch is turned on.
The light switch is 2-wire (assuming a switch leg but, yea I know) versus 2-way going to an ungrounded new fixture.

Where did the fixture pickup a neutral circuit?
Disconnect the hot wire going to the new light fixture, cap/tape it off, reset the breaker and turn the switch on to see what the breaker does.

Breaker tripped.
From there you changed the light fixture and light switch and reused whatever bulb was in the old fixture.
The light switch is 2-wire (assuming a switch leg but, yea I know) versus 2-way going to an ungrounded new fixture.

Disconnect the hot wire going to the new light fixture, cap/tape it off, reset the breaker and turn the switch on to see what the breaker does.
Thanks very much I will do that and get back to you.
Breaker tripped.

Yes that is correct forgive my grammar had some head injuries early in life and schooling didnt absorb well then figured time to help the family.i thank you for your wisdom I will do what you suggested and get back to you.

Back